• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

New models

Started by lastvautour, February 26, 2012, 03:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Pete has been real busy with the following

Additional views may be found at http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=195
Lou

Peter

Balsabasher

All great solids done in his unique individual style.
Barry.

lastvautour

Pete has been at it again with a Hawker Typhoon. Nice work Pete.

Lou

lastvautour

And another.

This time an F-16XL.

Lou

Peter

I know Pete uses Butternut wood for his models. But what are his display stands made out of?

Peter

Balsabasher

I have never heard of Butternut wood ? is it nice to carve.
Barry.

Peter

Hi Barry,

I haven't carved Butternut myself but it's the second most popular wood in North America after Basswood for   whittling, chip carving, pyrography and figure carving. It is suppose to be a little harder to carve than basswood with a more noticeable grain that takes stain very well. It's from the walnut family but not as hard. 

Peter

Balsabasher

Thank you Peter this is most interesting,the chances of finding Butternut wood here in the UK is unlikely,even Basswood these days is nigh impossible to get hold of in fact the only supplier I know of is Hobbycraft who hold small stocks but only re-order when everything is virtually sold.
The problem is we no longer have exotic woods suppliers here any more as there is no demand these days,I would love to get hold of some of these woods.
A while back Kenji the wonderful Japanese solid modeller who posted a lot here sent me a parcel of that wood he was carving,sadly nothing has arrived and despite lots of enquiries nobody knows what has happened to Kenji which remains a mystery ?
Barry.

lastvautour

Here are a few wordsd from Pete on the subject of Butternut wood.

Hi, Lou

The reason I choose to use butternut wood......

1. It's a wood with a nice grain, and, since I don't paint my carvings, this is important.

2. Like Basswood, it's easy to carve with a sharp knife or flexible shaft Dremmel or Foredom tool.

3. I have a friend who has enough butternut to last for my carving days....free!

Hope this answers your question...........Pete

Balsabasher

Please say thank you to Pete for me Lou,its a pity that he is not on SMM to post as I am sure he has some interesting techniques to talk about.
I like the bit about a plentifull supply of Butternut wood !
Barry.

lastvautour

Pete continues to carve away. I quote
"Hi, Lou

The latest....Fairey FD 2 and the Bell X5 (my first try at swing wings) I've learned a lot, my F111 will be better.......Pete"

Balsabasher

Great subjects and great models.
Barry.