• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

High Wing Wonders - Stinson 108 . . . . . . . . . . . .. (Completed 3 Dec 2010)

Started by lastvautour, November 14, 2010, 09:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I have selected the Stinson 150 as per the gallery plans. I have also downloaded some other drawings to make it a bit more accurate. A search of the web show the Stinson 150 was subsequently manufactured as the model 108-1, -2 and a large tail -3 version.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

lastvautour

Thanks. I found the site last week and it is wondeful. One of my favorites is the burgundy coloured ships.

Lou

lastvautour

Additional research revealed that the plans in the gallery are incorrect in cross section. The dimensions and general arrangement are OK. Check out the shape of the fuselage in this shot.

Lou

lastvautour

There is a rare metalized version of the aircraft which would limit the colour schemes greatly. However, it looks as if the gallery plans may fit the profile of such an aircraft. If you plan on making one of these beauties, check out the site Mark placed in an earlier post.

Lou

dave_t

The angles are mostly due to the effect of fabric over stringers. Maybe he did base his drawing on a metal version.
Stinson 108-1.

dave_t

Here is another one.

lastvautour

I downloaded all the Canadian registered Stinson photos from this site.
http://www.airport-data.com/
Many of the aircraft listed have photos.

Lou

JeffH

Here's some additional Stinson 108 information which might be of interest:

The attached drawing is from a 1947 issue of Aviation Week magazine, and indicates Stinson also enlarged the tailplane when they went to the big swoopy tail model.  Unfortunately, The scan is from a low resolution photocopy, so the dimensions are barely legible.  It looks like the tailplane span on the large tail model was 112 inches.

Jeff

lastvautour

There are lots of variations with any plane. I have selected my version but still need to Clip the main wing. I will need further research before doing any more.

lastvautour

Just dropped in to show the progress on the Stinson. The pieces are being test fitted and are not glued just yet. By chance would anyone have the Stinson logo. I can find the old version on line, but alas, the new one is nowhere to be found.

Lou

cliff strachan

I may have a photo of a Stinson Logo but it may be the one you're referring to. I'll dig it up shortly and send it. Nice work on the 108.
Cliff.

lastvautour

Thank you Cliff. I await the logo. If you can't find it I found a stensil that will do in a pinch. I have to ink the drawing and scan.

Lou

JeffH

Lou,

Looks like the Stinson is coming along nicely.

If you're still looking for post-war Stinson logos, attached are a couple I made using Inkscape.  They might be useable.  I think the later style logos were handed, in that the arrow always points to the front.

Jeff

lastvautour

Thank you Jeff. Yes the arrow is always forward on this one.

Lou