• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Flying Boat Cook Up

Started by lastvautour, January 17, 2008, 04:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.F.Bennett

K1000 is a great camera, I wish I had invested in one when they were still making them. I think if I could afford the developing and film costs I would use my Nikon or Keiv to shoot my models. Especially the "Completed" display.
"The Dude Abides"

cliff strachan

It's time to go digital. But when I was doing my "aircraft-in-flight", I was taking a photography course and was able to print and enlarge my coloured negatives together with "spotting in" the rotating props. Today, it's even getting difficult to find a commercial lab that still does film.

Another example of at least some of the fun being taken away. A friend told me he took - I think he said a thousand or so shots - of flowers. Of course he got a good one. So I suppose it was worth it.

Cliff

cliff strachan

Hi,

My Vickers Vedette is pretty much to the pre-paint stage. In the construction of this model I thought it somewhat unique in that it presented certain problems in replicating an engine that was esentially "open" - without a nacelle or otherwise enclosed.

Therefore I had to proceed from here:

And via views of the engine as it was recovered from the lake:

to draughting a representation with a 1/72nd scale - to the upper left hand - to assist in modeling:

We then arrive at the engine temporarily installed:

From which we have the completed and painted engine (about 1.5" D):

And finally, the engine mounted on its Test Stand ready for its first run-up:

Cliff

lastvautour

Cliff, you are a master at work. Awesome engine. I eagerly await the finished Vedette.

Lou

cliff strachan

Thanks Lou,

But first I'd like to commend you guys for the splendid tutorial that you're putting together on building solid models. It's an ongoing thing that reads like a serial of older times. (There I go again) It even has an element of suspense. Perhaps when you are finished we can expect the first smm PDF. It's really very interesting and we look forward to "the next chapter".

But my engine. I've made at least two mistakes. The first is that it is closer to 5/8" or 16mm diameter. And, in the process of abstraction, simplification and replication or whatever I put the crank on the wrong side. I mention this as a cautionary note to anyone considering making a pusher type aircraft. I found that I was always getting confused. It's even necessary to carve the propeller pitch differently.

Cliff

lastvautour

None of us would have noticed the crank position if you had not mentioned it. You have an emgine to be proud off. As to our tutorial, thanks for the kind word. I am learning as much as Rafa on the basics that endeared me to the hobby.

Lou

lastvautour

Kenny Horne

Great work Cliff,

I've got an odd offer for you but it might help.   At the loccal museum we have a copy of a Vickers Viking IV (I think 7/8 scale) that was built for a movie.  I believe it flew...  Anyway, check it out and if you think that it may contain any interesting detail that you are having touble interpreting from your drawings, I can take some pictures for you.  I know it's the wrong aircraft, and not even real, but it's the best I've got :-)

http://albertaaviationmuseum.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=41

Kenny

cliff strachan

Thanks Ken for your remarks and your offer. At the present time I'm pretty much to the painting stage of all seven that are awaiting final steps. However, at least until April I've decided to concentrate on another endeavour that has been long in the consideration stage. Perhaps, and very likely, circumstances have prohibited me from such an undertaking. As a friend once reminded me:"Don't wait too long if there is something you want to do".

You guys certainly have a great Aviation Museum. I intend to visit it sometime soon. Maybe at the Group's first International Meeting. (Better than at Baker Lake!)

Cliff.

Kenny Horne

Hi Cliff, 

Somehow I read your engine build bit as a "new" message.  Didn't relalize that this thread is months old :-(   Oh well,  the offer still stands that I can get some pictures of anything we've got and send it your way in the future...

Take care,

Kenny

cliff strachan

Thanks again Ken for the offer. May rely on it yet when I get back to the final stages in construction. Also thanks for the museum link. Very interesting. I'll try to reciprocate by inclosing the link to Manitoba's Western Canada Aviation Museum. It has a very fine collection of early "Bush" aircraft and a few scratch built models that are also unique. An example is a Fairchild Super 71 in a hangar similar to the one that Lou has built. I've got a couple of photos of these models that I'm sure the Group will enjoy - especially Lou. And speaking  of the Fairchild Super 71, the Museum is now in the final stages of rebuilding a Super 71 and has it on preliminary display.

Cliff

dave_t

I forgot about this cook-up and have decided to make a Dornier Do-18 from the Navy ID plans. The only modification will involve reducing it to 1/100th scale.

cliff strachan

Posted another shot in the Flying Boat cook up:

And:

Cliff

lastvautour

Meandog

Had a slide show sent to me of this amazing craft of that era.  :o ;D
I wondered if any members had made a model.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_X

Sorry I put this in the wrong category. (I had posted it in general) Still feeling my way around. ;)