Author Topic: Strombecker P-61 Black Widows  (Read 1716 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Joe

  • Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 83
Strombecker P-61 Black Widows
« on: October 11, 2009, 12:15:21 AM »
Hi,

One of the Strombecker models I built as a boy was the P-61 Black Widow.  I managed to find two built ones and an un-built kit still in the original box.  I decided to build one the same way I did as a boy; that is I would paint it with enamels and brushes.  Then I would build the second using acrylics and an airbrush.  Attached are photos of the models I began with, and the nearly finished "boy-style" model.  I have also attached photos of the second model in progress.

I made copies of the decals from the original kit using my HP printer, but I still have not perfected my techique.  This is evident when you look at the cockpit of the "boy-style" P-61.  However, I am making progress in learning the technique and will probably replace them.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 07:29:05 AM by Joe »

lastvautour

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6140
Re: Strombecker P-61 Blackwidows
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 03:59:33 AM »
Impressive Joe. Your Black Widow came out great. The inkjet system for decals is not perfect. I have been using it for quite a few years now and I am still struggling with it. Keep at it though, it is worth the effort.

Lou

Joe

  • Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 83
Re: Strombecker P-61 Black Widows
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 10:30:21 AM »
Hi, again,

I have made some progress on the second P-61.  It is now painted and painful process of applying decals has started.  I cannot seem to get the "airbrake" decals to be bright enough to show on the wings.  I will make one more attempt to make a decent decal and, if that fails, I will declare a victory and retire from the field. 

Attached is a photo of both P-61s that comprise this project to date.  There is a third, one that will be finished with stain and varnish.  I found another built model and will get started on it sometime in November...hopefully....

Note on the second P-61 that I tried a different approach to the windows.  I applied white-based decals as I had in the first model, but then painted the window areas with skyblue paint.  Then I overlayed the painted decals clear-based decals to create the frames.  In preparing the clear-based frame decals, I used a black fine point paint pen to re-outline the windows on the copied decals.  Then I re-sprayed with clear acrylic before applying the decals.  I like the effect, but it may offend Strombecker purists. 

Joe

cliff strachan

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 796
    • Cliff
Re: Strombecker P-61 Black Widows
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 11:06:07 AM »
Nice P61's Joe. That's a lot of glass. Interesting approach. It's my next painting project; to complete a model started more than just a while ago.

Cliff