• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

F-102 Delta Dagger for Century Jets cookup

Started by Ken Pugh, February 11, 2009, 07:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Pugh

Thanks, Lou.

I am still having trouble with the wood added to the front of the canopy.  It is just not holding up.  I decided to take a more durable option.  I put a piece of square stock on that almost looks like a top rail.  Once that dried a little, I filled the area with CA and micro balloons.  Hopefully, this will be strong enough to make the front of the canopy.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

The advantage of wood is that you can do stuff like this and still come out with an accurate shape. Good luck and post some pictures. My F-104 is coming better than expected with the sanding. I will glue the wings shortly but will make sure I have pictures of the cavity and the angles involved should you decide to make one yourself.

Lou

Ken Pugh

Time to build the tail cheeks.  The area rule could not be done on the F-102 by narrowing the fuselage because there was no room inside, so they installed fatter tail cheeks to achieve the same thing.  It is a good idea to do one side to completion before moving to the other as you are digging around in the exhaust area.  I planked the area with 1/16" square basswood stock.  It was glued on with CA.  As you add each piece, do a little carving in the exhaust to begin smoothing this out.  This is easier than waiting until it is all in place (lesson learned).

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2866

This was all carved down to shape and the inside area was carved.  It gets kind of narrow in there so I made the afterburner can from dowel rod.  This was glued inside and then I could do all this over on the right side.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2865

This last pic is a little blurry in the gray area but you get the idea.  It still needs a little filling/sanding but the shape matches the pictures pretty much.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2864

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

Excellent approach to a tedious problem. So far it looks great. My F-104 is still in the sanding bay. Too many other projects keep popping up. Do you have a roll out date yet?

lou

Ken Pugh

I don't dare set a date because I know of no way to meet it!  It doesn't look like much is left to do, but I know I will want to have as smooth a surface as possible.  I also know the paint will take a lot of time because I plan to paint everything.  It will be a good exercise in masking.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

I set dates to make sure things don't drag on too long. But then, extensions are always possible.

Lou
Good Luck with your paint.

Ken Pugh

No pics but words on this update.  A lot of time has gone into finish sanding trying to get the wood to look like an aluminum jet.  It is now pretty slick.  I am at the point of adding fuselage details and the question now is how much to add.  The search has also gone on for a paintjob.  Since this model has the Case X wing, it is necessarily an early model and there are simply not as many pics of Case X jets.  I will probably build it as a very early model without the intake ramps.  The problem is the US AIR FORCE lettering was bent to get it to fit.  Though correct, it would look like an error to the casual observer.  I guess that will be a conversation starter.

Anyone considering building the F-102 should give plenty of consideration toward whether you want a Case X or Case XX wing (10 or 20).  They are very different in shape and have different elevons.  Case XX wings were not retrofitted to older models.  Many of the other fuselage details, antennae and tail hook, came over time and were usually retrofitted, though not always.  Most of the antennae are small and are not significant, but that wing definitely is.  Of all the photos and prints available of F-102s, Case X wings are quite rare.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

The silver paint goes over clear gloss quite nicely. The gloss takes out the minute imperfection and provides a nice surface for the paint to adhere to. Mine will also be bare metal, but the Canadian version of white wings, red tail plane and grey under wing. The remainder will be base metal. The tail area is problematic as the metal discoloured due to heat. Same as the F-100. Painting is still a long ways away for me. Yesterday I added the fillet materiel for the main wing and will sand in a few days. The spine on the back of the fuselage will be a half round dowel. I have yet to do that piece so wish me luck. I will either use a rasp to render it half round or perhaps put it on my belt sander. Either way, it look like Ken will be done before me.

Lou

Ken Pugh

Another thing to consider with the F-102.  If you see a silver F-102, it is silver lacquer, not bare metal.  The only areas bare metal are the exhaust area, around the intakes, and areas of the intake ramp.  From what I have seen the F-106 was also sometimes seen with silver lacquer paint though not bare metal.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

Right you are Ken. I had a "Old Timer" moment.

LOu

Ken Pugh

I was specifically talking about the F-102 and I think you were talking about the F-101.  I have not yet investigated  the Voodoo fully so I don't know if some were bare metal.  I have seen pics of the Voodoo with silver lacquer.  Of course, the F-100 was available in bare metal.  From my research, the F-102 was only ever operational painted and I think that was also true of the F-106.

I haven't taken detailed step-by-step pics of this build and have not tried to compile a detailed build log, but I definitely want to post info that will be valuable to a builder of this jet.  Areas that have frustrated me, slowed me down, or painted me into a corner, I will post here so the builder can be aware without deep research.

One thing is for certain, Canada applied some beautiful special occaision paint schemes to their Voodoos!  I don't know if they were very proud of the Voodoo or it was a convenient platform because of its large size and limited use.

Ken Pugh

Ken Pugh

The F-102 is built and awaiting primer.  I think everything is done but I will stare at her for a couple of hours then apply the primer.  The primer I am using is Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3.  It is a filling primer that dries to the touch in 30 minutes and can be recoated in 1 hour but fully cures in 7 days.  I got it because it says it can prime both wood and metal.  I can probably paint over it before 7 days, but that will give me plenty of time to make masks for the upcoming paint.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2877

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

You outdid yourself on this one. Excellent work my man.

LOu

Ken Pugh

Thanks Lou.  The painting of the markings will be a challenge but I have an idea of what I'll do.   I will document the whole process for a tutorial if it works out okay.  I am also planning the base.  I have some red oak that I was going to use on a ship model but changed my mind.  Hopefully, I will come up with a base design that looks professional that I can use for future projects, like all the Century jets!

Ken Pugh

Oceaneer99

Ken,

Excellent work!  How did you do the wing strakes?

Garet