• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

F8 Crusader

Started by Model Maker, October 14, 2018, 04:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Maker

Welcome back Lou!! We've missed your ongoing encouragement over the past while, but recognize you have had more important items to deal with. Trust you are recovering from the tragic loss of a loved one.

I'm afraid I am not buying into your comment that the mortise and tenon approach is beyond your skill set. You are a very skilled craftsman!! I suspect it has more to do with the scale you typically work in (1/72 or smaller). With 1/48 scale and larger, standard chisels can be used for most mortises. The tenons are simple, since they are an extension of the root area of the attached component.

Below 1:48 scale I suspect miniature chisels would be required for the mortises. For the strakes, which are only 3/32" thick at the root, I had to resort to a small electronics screw driver to remove material. If the scale was smaller, I could see myself either buying some miniature chisels or making some using nails, drill bits or similar thin metal sources. There are a few YouTube videos on making miniature chisels.

lastvautour

Thank you for the vote of confidence.

Lou