Author Topic: P-51D Mustang  (Read 5562 times)

Model Maker

Re: P-51D Mustang
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2015, 08:00:02 PM »
Sorry Biggles for not replying sooner. Yes, there are three P-51's on the "elf bench".

After priming the two (white and natural finishes in the picture above) with the water based alkyd primer, I finally had some time wet sanded both today. Am I impressed with this product!! It wet sands wonderfully and has a good build thickness as well. Maybe not quite as thick a build as the Zinser primer, but the finish is great. Just like the old slow dry alkyd primers. I can't comment on other brands, but this Dulux brand (made by AkzoNobel) is certainly great stuff. I'd highly recommend it to those folks looking for an alternate to the rattle can primers who would like to go with a water based cleanup. I see from the Web, that AkzoNobel paints go by different brands in various countries, so hopefully if you wish to try it, it's available. It's drying time between coats is approximately 2 hrs. I'd let it dry at least 24 hrs before wet sanding. But you can certainly paint two or three coats in a day.

Next step is to apply a couple of coats of grey to the two planes currently painted with white primer and a final grey coat on the one already painted grey with the Zinser primer. In reading how aluminum finishes highlight all imperfections, I'm a little paranoid about sanding out all blemishes in the primer before applying the finish coats.

Dare I say - I'm a Happy Camper - At least today :)

Model Maker

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2015, 07:31:28 PM »
Struggling a little bit with the control surface lines. I scribed them on one model so we'll have to see how it goes. In searching the Internet, some plastic modellers tape the control surface lines and then apply paint to create a recessed line when the tape is removed. Thought I'd give that a try as well.

I've completed the primer build up to remove blemishes etc. so before I perform the final wet sanding, I'll brush on a couple more coats of primer and then perform the final sanding which should result in a slight recess after the tape is removed. I used Lou's trick of placing a lined piece of paper under a glass plate to cut the tape to a consistent width. It's a little wide at 1/32", but we'll see what we can do with the airbush after the aluminum paint is sprayed on.

lastvautour

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2015, 04:02:40 AM »
Great looking Mustang Ken. You have captured the spirit of the aircraft.

Lou

Biggles

• Biggles
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2016, 09:28:59 PM »
Very nice.
Biggles
John 15:13