• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Veri-Tru plans to be removed

Started by R.F.Bennett, August 25, 2017, 03:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.F.Bennett

On 8/24/2017 8:38 AM, derick scott wrote:
>
> I am the owner of veri-tru plans and have asked you already to stop displaying my plans for people to download.
>
> I will check back in 7 days and if they are still on I will take legal action against you.

Following two previous e-mails from Mr.Scott offering no proof of ownership or indeed identity and research to find who he is and what he does by Lou, Garet and myself.  I sent this response;

Mr. Scott,

I am NOT in violation of International Copyright law by posting degraded copies of those plans for review. You, however ARE in violation of copyright law by selling or making exchange for printed plans that are not owned by you. You even have plans that came from my site and plans that are currently in production kits. Those plans are of no importance to my group. When I can get out of my sick bed to do so I will remove them.

Solid Model Memories has had over 7.5 Million hits since it's inception in 2001. It is visited about 1000 times a day by hobbyists that might have been interested in contacting you to purchase prints, I thought about this option as an offer to you. But After researching your "Operation" I cannot, in good conscious participate in an illegal act. You, Sir, are simply hoarding plans. You say you want to openly share them and act as an archive. But only to those who pay you to print them. That is not openly sharing, SMM is. You sent me no proof of copyright ownership or proof of previous owners claim. You sent me you first letter on Christmas week when I'm trying to celebrate holidays and in a tone of a man giving orders to an underling. Now your just pissing me off! Those plans are NOT worth an International Copyright war. You are trying to intimidate me and that don't go over well. I would like to see such a lawyer have a look at your operation, it would be interesting to hear what one not paid by you would say. I am fighting illness, I live with staggering pain, minute by minute. Not even day by day anymore. Each breath is a calculated endurance test to see if I don't go mad trying to complete the task. I consider it a good days work to get a shower and a meal in me. I am not, in the slightest, trying to garner sympathy. If you think a threat of anything from you can intimidate me. I think you get the picture.

Now, here's the rub. If I let you push me around without proof of ownership, what's next? You buy a copy of some plans from Ebay, put them on your si. . . excuse me, in your catalog. Then send me another letter saying I have to remove that brand from SMM? As far a getting lawyers involved, I live on social security disability, food stamps, housing for low income disabled. I have $7.00 to last me till the 1st of September. If you want to accrue any legal bills that you'll expect a court to get me to reimburse you for, good luck. My entire life is worth about $50.00. SMM is THE achievement of my little life, don't mess with it.

Solid Model Memories is run by volunteers, 3 to be easy about it. It takes in donations only to buy web hosting and only once has met that goal. It has no funding from memberships, advertisements or sales of merchandise related to it. It was created to save and promote the hobby and the plans that have been dwindling away for decades. We have no real measure of our success other than stats and the occasion letter I get thanking us for reminding someone of their boyhood hobby. We have members from all over the world and as far as I know only two of us have met face to face but we are all friends. Only one person has ever been booted for bad behavior. Sadly, our numbers are dwindling and I myself am not long for this world.

I have, almost always, been Democratic about SMM. Involving the members in decisions and changes to the site. I will post your letters and this statement to the forum and send it in our monthly announcements e-mail to inform them why the VERI-whats-it links will be dead. In time I will post a notice for each explaining it was removed at the request of you, the Copyright owner. I will not, though I wish I could, post your e-mail so they can find the plans from you. As I explained above YOUR operation is the one in violation of the laws. I expect to hear no further from you, except through your attorney. Within 30 days all of the V-whatsit plans I know of will be gone from the gallery. I WILL NOT remove reference to them in the forum or any posts of models or builds based on them. Those are posted by the members and are protected under free speech by the United States Constitution. Getting the Queen of England or the President of the United States to park an aircraft carrier in my bath tub in not going to make it happen any faster. Again, I nor any member of Solid Model Memories, are going to reimburse anyone for your legal costs should you chose to involve the courts. I gladly inform those companies who still produce plans that you have in your collection that you are doing so. If you have their permission, you have no worries. Further e-mails from you threatening "Anything" will be considered harassment.

Gallery front page notice;

" These plans are placed here in review of their accuracy and historical content. They are for personal use only and not to be reproduced commercially. Copyrights remain with the original copyright holders and are not the property of Solid Model Memories. Please post comment regarding the accuracy of the drawings in the section provided on the individual page of the plan you are reviewing. If you build this model or if you have images of the original subject itself, please let us know. If you are the copyright holder of the work in question and wish to have it removed please contact SMM "

R.F.Bennett

Here is the gallery in question;

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=292

As a result of this exchange these plans will be removed completely within 30 days. As always, your opinions are welcome Gentlemen.

XRay
"The Dude Abides"

R.F.Bennett

Mr. Scotts's Reply;

QuoteI am battling cancer so don't give me your health problems.

I bought the stock and copyright direct from the owner of Veri-tru Brian Dun who's name you will see on the drawings.

I collect plans from all over the world. There is more than one copy of each out there. You have admitted that you  show on your site current production kits which again is against you.

I don't understand where in my reply I say I have currant production plans on the site, If any can be found in the gallery please let me know they should not have been posted. I am not going to reply to his latest e-mail. Mr. Scott as far as battling cancer has no excuse to be an ass, but is in my prayers.

XRay
"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

I have removed 4 of 5 Veri-Tru Halifax III from the gallery. I am still searching for the other. There are better drawings that are free on line where people are more interested in the hobby than cornering the market for profit. Richard Ferriere is one such gentleman.

Lou

http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vues/halifax_3v.jpg