• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/32 Bruno Stillman 55 Fishing Boat

Started by lastvautour, July 21, 2017, 11:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

My nephew owns and captains a Bruno Stillman 55 snow crab fishing boat. The Bruno & Stillman company went bankrupt in the early 1980s so no drawings to be found. My nephew provided me with fresh photos of the boat out of water from, port, starboard, forward and aft. Since the crab season is over for this year the boat is out off the water but located three hours away. Drawings will be drawn from the photos and a bit of luck.

Lou

lastvautour

Have to start somewhere!

Lou

lastvautour

I will need 9 pieces to laminate the hull. The Paula Nicole will be approx 20 inches long with a 6.25 inch beam.

Lou

lastvautour

Eight pieces just held together with the clamps. I am still debating what glue to use.

Lou

lastvautour

Four X two sections glued together.

Lou

lastvautour

All eight sections are glued. I placed a black paper between pieces 4 and 5 to mark the center. Power sanding has started to save time.

Lou

No Photo

lastvautour

lastvautour

Slower than molasses. When I cut the laminated boards I lined up the grain. Somehow I got distracted and some boards were reversed so in areas the grain run north and other they run south. That make for some delicate chiseling. 

Lou

buccfan

That looks like hard work Lou,regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Yes and messy as chips fly everywhere. I await summer to move my operation outside so I can use the new planer.

Lou

lastvautour

The new planner need much training to use properly. As it stands now, the old hands on methods has gotten me this far. I have been sanding since last fall a few minutes here and there. I figure close to 20 hours using various wooden blocks wrapped in sandpaper.

Lou

buccfan

Good progress since your last pics Lou. Regards Paul J.