• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Started by FlyingS, May 08, 2017, 11:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlyingS

This is my first posting, new to the forum. I'm new to the hobby and I am working on my second model. The first one is a P-51B. I was inspired by the identification models my uncle had when I was a young fellow. I carved my model from a piece of left over cedar mail box post. I left it in the natural wood finish. I like the looks of the cedar but it is really easy to mark, even with your finger nail.
I'm very excited to have found this forum!!
Harvey Naeser

lastvautour

Welcome Harvey. Your model looks great. I hope to see more in future. If you require any assistance, feel free to speak up. Is your Mustang a 2017 project? If so I will add it to the SMM Yearbook post.
Again, welcome to the group.

Lou

FlyingS

Thanks for the welcome. Yes I did the Mustang this year. I plan on trying something new in each model to help develop my skills. Currently working on a Gee Bee Model D.

Model Maker

Hi Harvey - Welcome to the Group!!

Your P-51 looks great in the natural finish. Natural finishes always seem to bring out the best from a piece of wood and the natural variation of the cedar color and grain exemplify your artistry.

It's always interesting to see how others construct a model. I never thought to increase the wing thickness for the wing to fuselage fillet. Typically I have to glue on some pieces to the side of the fuselage. But I really like your approach of placing the extra thickness on the wing.

Looking forward to your next endeavour. Hopefully you will post some progress photo.

-ken

FlyingS

Thank you so much for the kind words! I started this model with the fillets on the fuselage and had a problem getting them flat and parallel so I ended up incorporating them into the wings. The advantage is it gives you a larger glue surface. Looking at antique solid model kits looks like the fillets where machined into the fuselage. Either way I find both methods have their advantages and challenges.
I started thinking I would concentrate on natural wood finished models. Then I sort of like the combination of painted and natural wood finishes. Then I look at the highly detailed painted models and I see them as a challenge. I'm thinking I'm going to end up with a lot of duplicated models with different styles  :P I can see this hobby is going to turn into an obsession (some would say a sickness).
BTW I'm impressed with you shop tools! I was a tool maker by trade before going into the design side. I have always liked making those shop aid tools from wood. I'm still putting together my "little airplane" shop as I go along.