• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Solid Models in a current plastic wrangling mag

Started by Will, January 04, 2017, 02:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Hi All,

The current issue (Jan 2017) of Scale Aircraft Modelling has a four page article about restoring a couple of Strombecker DC-2s.  It has step-by-step photos and a decent amout of writing too.
http://www.scaleaircraftmodelling.co.uk/index.php?PICEN=636f6e74656e74732f73616d2d33382d31312d632e6a7067&P1=0&P3=0

Watch that you look for the right mag, there's another one called Scale Aircraft Modeller International!

Cheers
Will

lastvautour

Boomerang

Thanks Will.

I think the latest out over here is November. I'll keep my eye out though interesting stuff on FAA colours and Wessex.

Cheers

Gordon

Model Maker

Copies of the magazine finally arrived at the local bookstore.

It certainly was an interesting article and the author did a great job of refurbishing the models. The key items I took away from the article were the differences in the finishing / painting processes between the time of the original build and the rebuild and the increased availability of modeling supplies such as brass tubing. The author seemed to spend a great deal of time priming and sanding to obtain the  mirror finish for the Alcad paint. Although obviously not as detailed as a plastic kit, the refurbished models looked great and as the author indicated, they would compliment his  collection of plastic models.

But dare I say, all the planes on this site would compliment any collection of plastic models. Although preformed plastic and resin kits have replaced solids for most model builders, the joy of shaping and finishing blank pieces of wood to create a model can't be beat!! .

Flying T

and a year later, love those mags.love it when people see my models and say they cant do that cause... I have trouble drawing a straight line.if people knew how much fun joy love it is to make a plane u always wanted as a kid but couldn't... and cost pennies.
FLYING T (AKA. LARRY)