• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 Douglas Dolphin Started June 2014 ( Completed 21st Sept 2014 )

Started by Boomerang, July 02, 2014, 05:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

This one is really coming together nicely.

Lou

cliff strachan

Gordon, I really do think that your Dolphin is great. But what has really prompted me to comment is your apparent great fun that you seem to have in making your models. I only wish that other modellers would realize the fun that they may be missing by not joining our group - time marches on.

Cliff.

Boomerang

Thanks Cliff,

I guess its like everything else "one" does. You get that feeling that it is all coming together and then its finished.

I've added the landing lights. Put the struts on the floats and manufactured a tail wheel out of plant tie wire, thin copper wire
  bamboo skewer and aluminium take away food container. The description might be a bit lacking in detail but when I get my
  camera sorted out i'll put up a pic. The floats will be the last to go on as I'll either do the underwing serial by hand or
  homemade decals.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Landing lights fitted
   Bit more work around cockpit required.
   More strut material needed for Floats

Gordon

Boomerang

Just a general construction picture . Bit of a follow up from a question that Cliff asked about wheels.

I've endeavoured to keep it simple. There were three small wheels made when I took this pic. They are now in a what I call a
   project bag. All the drawings and info plus any small bits that happen to get made . Keeps it all together.

The DH 5 engine has improved somewhat since this pic was taken. I'll update the DH5 board later.

cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

A very busy picture and quite informative. Thanks for the update.

Lou

cliff strachan

Thanks very much, Gordon. Lots to think about there.

Cliff.

buccfan

A very interesting picture and techniques to think about, thanks for posting Gordon.Regards Paul J.

Boomerang

Some progress made.

lastvautour

Boomerang

Boomerang

A bit of progress made. Cleaned up the upper surface paint job. Had to cut it back and redo in parts.
  Canopy framing and side windows have been done.
  Masked off the area for the decals and gave them a coat of white.
  I'll print the decals next time I'm home.
  The rear hatch is "believed " to have been in "primer" so that s what I've done.
  Cleaning up and painting the floats.
  A couple of pics to follow.

Gordon

Boomerang

Pics referred to above. Not the best. Taken with camera phone. Still sorting out probs with SLR.

The "J" on the port side is done with permanent marker.

I'll see how things go. If I decide to do the underwing serials with marker pen I'll leave glueing the winglet and floats till last.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Finger trouble with the attachment. Sorted

lastvautour

What are the roundels made from? They look white in the photo.

Lou