• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 Douglas Dolphin Started June 2014 ( Completed 21st Sept 2014 )

Started by Boomerang, July 02, 2014, 05:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

Last time I was home I went to the National Library looking for info on the Beaufort and came across a paint scheme
  for the Dolphin in RAAF colours.

This has basically grown out of the bits box.

Undercarriage is brass rod , wheel discs  from 1/32 basswood ( cut with a hole cutter- best 10 bucks I've spent) .
  The  tyres are from my supply of neoprene rings in varying sizes obtained from the "reject shop" for 2 bucks.

http://www.goodall.com.au/australian-aviation/dolphin/douglas-dolphin.htm

Peter

Boomerang

lastvautour

Well done indeed. Your subjects stir the imagination.

Lou

Boomerang

A bit of work done.
  Floats from balsa . Propellers from bamboo skewer the remainder of which has been sanded down for the engine struts.
  Engine nacelles from  balsa dowel with a piece of 1/16 balsa wrapped around to give the required diameter using the hot
  water  method. The hole at the back done with a rotary tool.
  The method for the cowling rings is 1/32 basswood ( soaked in hot water) wrapped around the aluminium tube which
  fortuitously matches the inside diameter required. When dry , joined using superglue and a superglue applied to the inside to
  provide some strength. Had made two but one failed the handling test. The remaining one has been sanded to shape using
  the tube for support. Waiting for the replacement to dry.
  Engine cylinders from bamboo skewer sanded to shape and wrapped with thin copper wire. The small piece of dowel
  in the pic is for the engine crankcase.

Boomerang

Manufactured another cowling ring.
   Started putting an engine together.
   Propellers have been sanded to final shape
   Cleaned up the floats a bit and have given them a coat of primer. A suitable length of bamboo skewer has been sanded
   down further and primed for the float struts . Wing and tailplane attached .

Gordon

Boomerang

Achieved a bit over the last couple of days.
One engine done.
Both cowling rings done
Floats and strut material finished.
Made up the engine struts from sanded down bamboo skewer but one failed the handling test.
Rethinking the engine struts. Might end up made from brass.

In the attached pic the pins are definitely not to scale. Just my usual "clip it together " to see how it is all going method.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

That engine look very realistic in the close-up photo. Waiting for more.

Lou

Boomerang

Another set of cylinders have been manufactured. These will be attached to a crankcase and made to fit the remaining
  cowling ring. I'm going to do the engine struts in brass. Bit more fiddling with the cockpit and that will be pretty
  much it. Hopefully get some primer on to it next week when I get home

lastvautour

I would love a photo of the finished engine.

Lou

cliff strachan

Gordon, while it's been said before, I'm really impressed with your engine on your Dolphin. Hope that you intend to give a detailed account of how you have built it. The model is in itself a great model of an outstanding historical aircraft.

Cliff.

Boomerang

Thank you Cliff ,

I'll see if I can put something together for the engine.
I know I should take more pictures but when I get into the "zone " I'm at the finished stage of a part before I know it.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

I'll put it down to a seniors moment but I've misplaced my info on the Dolphin ( drawing and colour scheme).

Nothing that cannot be overcome. Means I have an excuse to go to the National library when I get home next.

Basically all that needs to be made has been. Finished the other engine yesterday.
   Manufactured a couple of exhaust rings But i need the drawing to remake the engine mounts out of brass rod.

Progressing

Boomerang

Replaced the missing drawing.
  Manufactured engine mounts out of brass rod. The forward strut is wrapped with sticking plaster ( sort of water proof).
  The rear struts were covered with the insulation material from some black plant tie wire. Looks OK from 3 feet away.
  same material used for the lower on the lower struts for the U/C and the upper part of the main strut is a bit of insulation
  from some multicore wire.
  Attached is the usual clip together pic ( motivation). Floats have been made but aren't shown attached.
  Bit more cleaning up to do. Have to wait till I can get to the library to get my camouflage drawing.
  Apologies for the clarity of this pic and the beaufort pic. Had to use my phone camera.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Forgot to mention that I've made the landing lights from some clear sprue from an old plastic kit which was the right diameter
  Sanded to a conical shape at the rear and a polished (1200 wet and dry with a bit off toothpaste) ,slightly convex front with
  a bit of silver paint added when I finished  them.
  Gordon