• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/32 Airco DH 5 Stárted July 2012 Completed 26 June 2015

Started by Boomerang, May 23, 2014, 05:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliff strachan

Gordon, that is all amazing work. A very lot of detail and thought has gone into your aircraft. It is truly something to be proud of.

Cliff.

Mark Braunlich

Here's a photo of seat in a very unlucky D.H.5.   Hard not to laugh at this now but I'm sure there were some fairly tragic consequences.

Boomerang

Thank You Cliff. I'm enjoying building it.

Mark, Thanks for the picture. Lots of detail in it. Answered a question I had for the headrest.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Some more work on the cowling. Removed some high spots on the inside surface because when the motor was
rotated it used to catch. Also one cylinder was "slightly" longer than the others. Must be close to scale as the cowling
is wafer thin. Plodding away with the cockpit and gun.

Gordon

lastvautour

Your updates are appreciated. Looking forward to some more photos.

Lou

Boomerang

A bit more achieved today. Control horns made using piece of clear plastic packaging which appears to be the right
  thickness. Pre- drilled before carefully trimming with scissors. They are black ( permanent marker pen) at the
  moment ( so I can see them). Dry fitted to rudder and elevators. Ones for the wings will be added after decals.
  Progress made on Vickers Gun. Reference photo in Windsock datafile shows one handle. This was made using a piece
of thin wire with some insulation. There is a picture in a previous update that shows the bare bones of it. Feed guide
etc.., added using scrap basswood.
  Cockpit shape has been modified( White area). The barrel will be added when I get some suitably sized tube.
  Remote cocking handle yet to be made.
  Might tackle the instrument panel and windscreen tomorrow.

Cheers
  Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

Instrument panel done. Windscreen next.
Vickers now has  a barrel.

Gordon

lastvautour

Great looking instrument panel. This is becoming a museum quality model.

Lou

Boomerang

Lou,
   Thanks for the compliment. I wouldn't class it as museum quality. I'm learning a lot and I'm  enjoying  the mental
   challenges of how to represent parts of the model. It's a good feeling  to get the "yes  that would work" flash 
   occasionally.
  Cheers
  Gordon

Boomerang

Coat of primer on all the struts and the landing gear.
  Clear plastic to be used for windscreen buffed up with metal polish to get rid of scratches.

Gordon

Boomerang

Some progress.
  Struts painted up with a combination of acrylic paints . Raw Sienna and Burnt Sienna to look like varnished wood.
  Cockpit finished ( sans rudder bar) . Control column and seat belt belt fitted( tissue with light PVA) and a light wash of Raw
  Sienna. Folded over so that the lack of buckles is not obvious.
  Undercarriage members have been painted and the generator ? mounting and propeller have been made.

Pics to follow
  Gordon

Boomerang

The cockpit.

lastvautour

Boomerang