• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Small model display stand

Started by lastvautour, November 08, 2013, 03:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

WWII ID model do not usually come with undercarriage so some method of displaying them is required. I make stands using recycle base board materiel.

Start with a triangle 10cm high and 5cm wide at the base. Measure the half way point and draw a horizontal line what remains below is our stand. The corners were rounded using a Testor paint bottle cover which measures 2.5cm diameter. The vertical arm is 7cm wide at the base and 2mm wide at the top. I use a hand drill to place 5/64 hole which is incidentally the same size as a rounded toothpick. Place a hole at the wide end of the upper arm and the base making sure that the two align with the center of the stand. The arm may be located at either the wide or narrow part of the base. The arm slops forward as can be seen in the photo.The model center of gravity should be place in the center of the base. Place a similar hole in the bottom of the aircraft and top of the arm. This works well for my WWII ID + models.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou I do a similar thing by making stands from chipboard offcuts,the vertical piece is screwed to the base and a small length of 8 swg rod is driven into the top of the stand ready to take the model,the hole drilled into the model also acts as the mositure escape exit hole for the timber which stops the paint from cracking after time.
Barry.

Model Maker

I've had to make several stands lately for my Spitfires and P-51's. Thought I'd add some additional examples to Lou's thread which are contained in the attacked PDF below.

The display seemed to be more appealing, when the plane was mounted with a slight upwards pitch rather than being level, so I've incorporated this in the templates

Regards - ken

lastvautour

It makes your Spitfire fly off the page. Nice effect.

Lou

Biggles

John 15:13

lastvautour

An image is worth a thousand words.

Lou