• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 Bristol Beaufort Mk VII commenced May2013 Completed 26th December '14

Started by Boomerang, November 01, 2013, 11:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

A wee bit of progress.

Radio mast and DF Antenna have been made. They are just dry fitted at the moment. DF Antenna from basswood , Copper
  wire, a bit of balsa and the white bit is plastic from a cotton bud.
  The fuel dump pipes are done. ( on top of wing other wise will get lost in background).
  Have been experimenting with the landing lights. Clear plastic plunged into "hot water" and then moulded around leading
  edge seems to work a treat. Pushed the boundaries a bit and had a go at making the formation /nav light covers by the
  same method ( bit more work required). The straight line on the port wing is the result of these experiments.
  I've revised my thoughts on upper colour scheme and had to cut it back prior to a new base coat of brown.

Propellers are progressing

Boomerang

The carburettor intakes are from balsa and clear plastic . The plastic holds its shape when bent .
  Balsa trimmed down to suit and the plastic square slipped on and glued in place.

Seems to work OK.

Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

Have cut back the upper surface and reapplied the brown overall. rechecked available pictures of Beauforts with black serials
and found I'd done the reverse of what's required. That's this weeks seniors moment out of the way.

Gordon

lastvautour

There are so many differences that it is impossible to know everything. I am sure your Beaufort will come out spectacular.

Lou
(Just found out some cam jobs depended on the even/odd serial numbers.)

Boomerang

Upper surface Green has been done.
  Marking out the framing of canopy, turret etc..,
  Bit of fixing required on one wingtip ( result of falling from hands while carrying).

Onwards and Upwards

lastvautour

I never learnt how to repair crushed wood without handing to spice a plug and re-carve/sand/etc. We await further photos.

Lou

Boomerang

A bit of progress

Have repainted the upper surface. Started work on the canopy, nose and turret framing.

You will notice the rear edge of the port wing tip is a bit square. The result of drop damage.

This may work to my advantage . I am considering doing the formation/nav lights in some sort of clear plastic
shaped to suit. Already experimented with this on the Dolphin.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

Both propellers have been built. Further work required but basic units turned out OK.
  had to manufacture one more blade as one was lost during some spinning tests. I heard it hit the table (somewhere)
  but to date the search has proved fruitless.
  In between that slowly doing the canopy framing.
  I've picked up some acrylic type material which I think I will use for the formation/Landing lights. Will need to be need
to be laminated for the landing light. Initial joining tests are promising.
Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

Had to paint the propellers. More work required on the hubs.
    Just leaves the landing and formation lights to come to grips with.
    pic to follow

Gordon

Boomerang

Props painted. more work required on hubs.

Gordon

Biggles

John 15:13

Boomerang

Propellers have been finished. I won't be putting the counter weights on.
Landing light has been commenced useing some acrylic type material.
Cleanup and touch up paint where required and complete cockpit framing .

Pic to follow