• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 Bristol Beaufort Mk VII commenced May2013 Completed 26th December '14

Started by Boomerang, November 01, 2013, 11:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

Lou,

As you say mate  there a more ways to one task than meets the eye.
  It's good fun just exercising the grey matter and enhancing the fine motor skills
  Are the blades on your's  butt joined to hub?

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

I use a center hub drilled to accept the blade ends. On large scale such as 1/32, the blade end is drilled to accept a dowel that goes into the hub. A spacer is inserted between the blade and hub. We should both do tutorials for the tip section to show different methods.

Lou

Balsabasher

Making three bladed propellers is a challenge in itself,I adopt a very different approach to this but as long as works for us then that is all that matters,we learn a lot from each others methods.
Barry.

Boomerang

Decided whilst painting the Spit, Airacobra and P-43 to start adding colour to the Beaufort.

The chin turret has been added. Nacelles are progressing and when time permits work on the propellers.
More work required on  the oil cooler inlets .
Not to sure on adding the Radar antenna's on the fuselage yet.

Balsabasher

You are having a purge on finishing Boomerang,something that I am looking forward to doing as well with lots of 'greys' on the bench ready or almost for some colour,no point in wasting expensive paint at this moment due to the bloom problem with the damp weather,yes its still raining here in the UK ! and more on the way.

Barry.

lastvautour

Your Beaufort is shaping up to be a great model.

Lou

Boomerang

Does look like a bit of purge. I think everything is just at the same stage at nearly the same time.
  The weather here is anywhere from the mid 30° C 's  to the low 40° C and very little rain in site.

cheers
  Gordon

Balsabasher

Gordon you are playing your part in keeping Solid modelling alive with some lovely subjects.

Barry.

Boomerang

Oil cooler inlets finished. Cowling to nacelle cleaned up on both sides. I got a hold of some RAAF Sky and have redone the
  undersides. I will be painting this up to represent "KT-L " of  7 SQN a Mark VII  A9- 1124.
  There is a picture which raises a lot of questions .
http://www.airpages.ru/eng/ot/raaf_03.shtml

it has a black serial where the specs ay sky or grey. I'm still deciphering the colours ( Scheme A or B . Odd serials A evens
  B - Following the British system) but in the words of   Ian K Baker "Aviation History colouring book 14 "DAP Beaufort  ".

He says "After an extended scrutiny of numerous photos ... this writer is unable to discern rhyme or reason in the
  Australian  application of the two schemes".

All good fun though.

Pics to follow when available.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Looking forward to those photos. As to colour, there are exceptions to every rule!!!

Lou

Boomerang

To true Lou.

I'll make a decision based on what I can further decipher from the picture.

The serial should read A9-124 not 1124

Cheers

Boomerang

A bit of success with black serials. Have found a couple of photos of beauforts with with  serials around 124 and they are
black. Will preceed down that path.Also might look at doing the landing light

Cheers
Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

Progressing...

Plodding away on the propellers, Landing lights, fuel dump pipes, Antenna and DF Antenna.

Balsabasher

Well done Boomerang with your progress on the Beaufort.
Barry.