• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - Handley Page Hampden - A guide to WWII ID Models

Started by lastvautour, September 28, 2013, 05:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Lou the best material to stick down paper decals is a product called 'Golden products clear tar gel' once you use this then you will not bother with anything else,I first discovered it in my paintings and a pot last for ages,you can also use it as a first class glaze,on cockpits it looks just right and has just the right sheen.
Barry.

cliff strachan

Lou, if only it was a problem of "decent eye sight and steady hand". Age has that characteristic that has no bounds. So the lesson for youth is to work faster.
Cliff.

Mark Braunlich

The Hampden looks great Lou.  Congratulations on another fine tutorial.   On the matter of code letters, I once had to make code letters in the British underside sky color and obviously the color had to match the paint used on the underside.  The solution was to mask and spray paint the letters onto clear decal film.   They were opaque enough to hide the border between the two camouflage colors.  You can see the result here: http://retroscalemodeling.lefora.com/topic/15447897/Airfix-172-Sea-Hurricane-Ia#.Uq8IW_RDvzs

lastvautour

Thank you Mark. I have tried that with spraying colour on clear film with mixed results. Doing block letters are fine, rounded numbers such as 8 6 and 9 are a problem for me. I never got the hang of cutting accurate masks for that style of numbers in that scale. I have also tried doing dry transfer on decal paper and that worked out but was limited in the colours and fonts to use. I am fortunate that the Hampden I chose has no code letters. My approach lately has been to print the smaller codes black and paint over by hand. Not a great solution for a shaky hand, but then I build for myself and was satisfied with the results.

Thanks for contributing to the build session. I am always looking for different tools to add to my skill's "Tool Box".

Lou

lastvautour

Mark, great Sea Hurricane. My plastics are not and never will be up to your level of excellence.

Lou

lastvautour

Peter, I hope it has warmed up for you. I have completed my Hampden and await photos of your finished model before posting my photos.

Lou

Peter

Hi Lou,

Things of warmed up but I haven't had a chance to work on the Hampden yet. Hopefully it will be finished at least to the

Peter

Oops I hit send before finishing. I will hopefully the model painted and finished black by New Years. I may paint it to the IDplus level in January.

Peter

lastvautour

There are some who do not go beyond the black finish and that is also fine as the original WWII ID models were all black. On second thought I will post pictures and let you decided.

Lou
Must go misses calling!!!!

lastvautour

This is my favorite photo of the completed Hampden.

Lou

lastvautour

Decals images were downloaded from Wikipedia. Fin flashes and appropriately sized circles were done on white film and the remainder on  clear film. My first attempt with the new printer was a disaster. If my old printer ever crashes, I don't know what I will do.

Lou

lastvautour

Photo Gallery I of the completed Hampden P5884.

Lou

lastvautour

Photo Gallery II of the completed Hampden P5884.

Lou

Peter

Wow Lou very impressive.  You definately spurred me on to finish the Hampden.

Peter

Balsabasher

Lou your Hampden looks superb,you have done the subject real credit.
Barry.