Solid Model

Member Projects => Jeff H's Projects => Topic started by: lastvautour on February 03, 2014, 03:39:57 PM

Title: 1/32 Lockheed 12 Electra Junior
Post by: lastvautour on February 03, 2014, 03:39:57 PM
Jeff just posted these pictures of his magnificent model. Comments below the photos are Jeff,s

3/8" = 1' scale model Lockheed 12 Electra Junior. Model is based on drawings appearing in 1930's Popular Science magazine. Constructed of Aspen. Covered with aluminum foil using metal leaf adhesive size.
3/8" = 1' solid scale model. Constructed of aspen, wood grain sealed with polyester resin. Foil covered, enamel trim. Windows simulated with polyester resin.
3/8" = 1' scale ("1/32 Scale") solid model. Model constructed of aspen, wood grain filled with polyester resin as used in fiberglass construction. Model details made from epoxy castings, acrylic sheet and aluminum. Markings are a combination of waterslide decals and stencils.
Title: Re: 1/32 Lockheed 12 Electra Junior
Post by: lastvautour on February 03, 2014, 03:41:12 PM

Title: Re: 1/32 Lockheed 12 Electra Junior
Post by: cliff strachan on February 03, 2014, 05:04:05 PM
Way To Go, Jeff. Wonderful absolutely wonderful.

Title: Re: 1/32 Lockheed 12 Electra Junior
Post by: Balsabasher on February 04, 2014, 02:21:00 AM
What a beautiful model,the finish looks just like aluminium,well done to the builder.

Title: Re: 1/32 Lockheed 12 Electra Junior
Post by: JeffH on February 11, 2014, 07:15:12 PM
Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Attached are some in progress photos.

I started this project a few years ago, and couldn't find any photos of the unassembled parts for the model.

To simulate the cabin windows and windscreen on the model, I ground out those areas with a motor tool and painted the cavities black.  After the paint dried, I filled in the cavities with polyester resin which I then sanded smooth and polished.

After the model was primed I painted on the red trim by first masking the areas where the trim would appear (since overspray areas would show up under the foil).  I then masked off the red trim and applied the foil.  For adhesive, I used Mona Lisa brand metal foil size (from a craft store).  I also had on hand an old container of MicroScale metal foil adhesive (which appears to be the same substance).  The stuff from the craft store performed better, but that may have because it was more recently purchased.  After completing the foiling, I cut away the foil from the red trim and pealed off the masking tape.

The registration letters on the wings were painted on using masks I made by printing the letters (in outline form) and cutting them out with a hobby knife.  The masks are held in place by re-positionable adhesive (it comes in stick form).  The adhesive held the masks in place without damaging/pulling up the delicate foil.  I used cheap craft store acrylic paint for the letters.  Adding some future floor polish and a dab of Mod Podge goop to the paint helps it adhere and spray better.

The engines were cast from a concoction of Envro Tex Lite epoxy and Durhams Water putty powder.  The master appears in the right of the parts photo.  For the mold, I used recipe found on the Internet:  Hardware store silicone bathtub caulk mixed with glycerin hand lotion and a drop of india ink.  The glycerin acts as a catalyst to make sure the silicone caulk hardens all the way through (instead of just flashing over on the surface); the india ink is added to indicate when to stop stirring-- the mix is ready to pour when it is of uniform color.  I sprayed the mold with black spray paint before adding the epoxy casting material; the paint acts as a mold release and seems to help prevent bubbles forming on the surface.

Other details on the model were made from acrylic sheet (wheels, direction finder antenna) or filed from aluminum (propeller blades, landing gear legs...).  The propeller spinners were cast by making a master from wood and then plunging it into a block of modeling clay.  The resulting depression was then filled with epoxy to make the final casting.

The black border pin striping around the red trim was made using automotive striping tape.  I applied the tape to the backing from a peel-off sticker and cut it into smaller stripes (~ 1mm) using a straight edge and razor blade.  To keep the stripes from peeling off, protect the home made water slide decals and prevent the aluminum from tarnishing, I coated the model with a mix of Future floor wax and Mod Podge goop.  This concoction forms a slightly thicker film than Future wax alone.  The last photo shows the plans the model is based on, from a 1930's issue of Popular Science magazine.  Patiently waiting for a 1/32 scale Humphrey Bogart to show up.

Thanks for looking.
Title: Re: 1/32 Lockheed 12 Electra Junior
Post by: Mark Braunlich on February 11, 2014, 07:28:15 PM
Another beautiful model Jeff.  Thanks for sharing.
Title: Re: 1/32 Lockheed 12 Electra Junior
Post by: Balsabasher on February 12, 2014, 12:30:35 AM
Thanks for the detailed description of the construction Jeff,your unusual techniques on this model have worked really well and certainly suit the subject,the attention to detail especially on those castings can be seen in the photographs.

The windows look most effective and I for one am going to use this method in the future to reproduce cabin windows etc.

Take a bow for producing an award winning model of such a lovely historic and pioneering subject,you have clearly shown the potential of modern mixed media products when used with solid modelling techniques.