• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Kawanishi K-2 racer

Started by K_mars, July 22, 2011, 03:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K_mars

History
[taken from Gabriel Stern's article at: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal10/9801-9900/gal9886-Kawanishi-Stern/00.shtm   Be sure to take a look at Gabriel's excellent build.]

At the start of the 20's it was realized in Japan that racing planes could be of great interest, therefore the first plane in the country designed for that purpose was built by Kawanishi and designated K-2. It was to be powered by a six-inline Hall Scott rescued from another plane.
By 1921 the result of the endeavor was a very pleasing, modern little plane of refined lines that showed promise. It was made mainly of wood and had a low cantilever wing of constant chord.
The little fin/rudder area apparently gave a bit of trouble under some circumstances and minor problems precluded the building of more machines. The only K-2 built didn't enjoy much development, but the plane flew with wire-rigged wings and later received airfoiled wing struts.    Wheels had their spokes exposed or covered, depending on the photos. At least two props can be seen on photos. The little plane eventually reached an unofficial speed of about 250 kph, not bad for the about 220 hp of the engine and for 1921.
The boxy radiator, right on the face of the pilot, puts a sort of funny note to the design.

kenji.

K_mars

Addition of photograph

Balsabasher

Excellent Kenji,these show the wing taper better,note the earlier wire braced wing as well before speed fairings were fitted,very useful pictures.
Barry.

K_mars

Barry,

I am glad of these photographs useful for you.

I began to cut down the body.

1.The fuselage sticks two blocks together. I make the hole of the pipe that the propeller shaft puts at this stage.  

2.I get the part of the cockpit made with another wood. I tightly makes it so that there is no space.

lastvautour

I look forward to more of your work. You are giving me new ideas on carving. Thanks

lou

K_mars

lou,

Thank you.

To detach it, the part of the cockpit is applied with the adhesive only by one place(point).It comes off when strongly pushing. But, it doesn't come off even if it cuts down with the knife.

kenji.

K_mars

I plane the fuselage noting the section type.
The part of the cockpit has not carved the hole yet.

kenji.

lastvautour

Nice start to an interesting project. What scale is your K-2?

Lou

K_mars

Lou,

Thanks,

The scale of this model is 1/50. Because the metric system is used in Japan, 1/50 and 1/25 are used.

kenji.

Balsabasher

Being followed with great interest,what lovely neat building.
Barry.

lastvautour

K_mars

Barry,

Thank you.

This wood can do delicate work.I always make cockpits with this method.

kenji.

K_mars

I carve in the cockpit. It thins it as much as possible.

kenji.

Balsabasher

Watching intently at this tutorial Kenji,the wood looks to work beautifully to get that close to the walls.
Barry.

K_mars

Barry,

Thank you.

The wall was planed as thinly as possible.

kenji.