• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Fictional/Prototypical Design Cook-Up

Started by lastvautour, October 26, 2008, 02:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

Lou,

But I saw it with my own eyes, and know that the effect when you hold it in your hand is perfect.

Ray and I discussed close-up photos at one point.  I had what I thought was a perfectly sanded very small scale model, but the photograph made it look like I'd used 60-grit.  Ray finally pointed out that the photo on the computer screen was about 5x the model size.

Garet

lastvautour

Here is a project made from photos of CAD drawings supplied by Cutangus on flickr. It fits well in this category and it was time this post was awaken anyway.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-4147
It is balsa construction covered in dreamcoat art paint and spares box decals.

Lou

dave_t

Interesting design. Does the exhaust exit only through the four nozzles? A lot of weird airflow there.

I like the model and thanks for reviving a forgotten cook-up.

lastvautour

The vectored thrust is through the four outlets only. We need more of these projects to wet the appetite of future modelers.

Lou

lastvautour

In the mid 1960 while still at school, I used Supercar as a basis for my own version of a craft. The first version was SC-2 as I figured that SC-1 would be the actual Supercar. Several modification from hovercraft to variable lift nozzles and finally just your old turbojet. The SC-8 which I have reproduced is attached for your comments. It will eventually get some camouflage colouring and Canadian Forces markings, but for now, various shades of varnish has been applied to seal the wood. The model is 1/48 scale and still needs to have undercarriage affixed.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-4395

Lou

lastvautour

This skunkworks project only took some 4 hours if you don't count the original drawings I made in 1963.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-4410

Ken Pugh

dave_t

Very striking results. I love those old science fiction vehicles. The metallic paint turned out well.

lastvautour

You did a magnificent job Ken. Silver is the worst of all colours but you mastered it.

Lou

Ken Pugh

Thank you very much.  Surprisingly, the cheap metallic craft paints work very well.  Who would have guessed?

Ken Pugh

Balsabasher

It is a colourful subject Ken,and you have done it full justice,I love the contrasting colours against that excellent silver finish.
Barry.

Ken Pugh

I think the colors are what really drew me to this model.  I draw my inspiration for it from the great Martin Bower.  The colors look good on a photo but they are stunning in real life.  I find myself looking at it a lot.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

A recent contribution by Peter.

His RCRC craft is quite nice.

Lou

cliff strachan

That is a real nice rocket ship Ken. But as to your choice of "cheap metallic craft paints" just what paint did you finally settle on?
Also I believe that the launch pad must have given you a great deal of planning.
Cliff

Ken Pugh

The paint used is Anita's All Purpose Acrylic craft paint.  They have a Metallic series and this one is Silver.  It was sprayed with an airbrush.  The picture gives a good view of the paint, but in person, the paint have a brushed aluminum look.  It is actually excellent paint.  I can get it from all the craft stores here in town, Michael's, AC Moore, and our new Hobby Lobby.  Hobby Lobby sells this stuff in very large bottles if one wants to paint a lot of models at a time!  These craft stores also sell acrylic clear finishes, both gloss and flat.  They are by the same companies and work great.

The base was actually quite easy.  It was made to reflect the pictures.  I just built it up step by step and did not concern myself with precision as much as getting the look correct.

Ken Pugh