• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 Strombecker P-80A

Started by Mark Braunlich, February 15, 2011, 01:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

I've definitely had problems with ink-jet made decals when I tried to put Future on over the top.  I found that a light mist of clear lacquer kept my ink from running.  I had the most problem with black and dark blue running (I'm using Epson pigmented ink).

In order of application, here's what I generally have:

latex filler putty
lacquer sanding sealer
lacquer-based sandable primer
acrylic paints
Future acrylic clear coat (base for decals)
decals
mist of clear lacquer over the decals
Future top-coat
Optional matte lacquer dull coat if I want a non-gloss finish

Mark Braunlich

Thanks Garet.  Believe it or not, I can't find Future here; I've looked in numerous stores.  I've used clear enamel before over decals on gloss finished models with no problem but not over home printed decals.  Live and learn.

dave, I don't have any method for disassembly other than wiggle and pull.  Some models like this Strombecker P-80 come apart quite easily (except the vertical tail which went into 4 pieces)  but I have a Strombecker Douglas D-558-2 that won't pull apart easily.  Luckily, it's a simple model and I can reshape most of the components assembled.  I might try some paint brush restoring goop in the joints, the stuff you use to melt hardened paint off of paint brushes.

Mark

Balsabasher

Mark,I understand that Future has been withdrawn from the shelves as it never sold very well,I think it was the model builders who kept it in production but even then it is so economical that it lasts for years,all is not lost however as someone is selling it on Amazon albeit at higher price than when it was on the supermarket shelves.
You may just find a few bottles in remote shops,it also goes under the trade name of 'Kleer' in many countries.

Barry.

Ken Pugh

According to SC Johnson, Future is now called Pledge Premium Finish with Future Shine.  This change was implemented in November 2007 and they say it is the same formula.  Of course, this name only applies to the US as it is called several things in other countries.

Ken Pugh

Mark Braunlich

The Strombecker P-80A, 44-85004, my fourth solid, is finished at last.  All the major wood components and the canopy are original.  Only the stand has been made new and represents the later stand that Strombecker provided with this kit which was first sold in 1946.  Thanks Ken, for the present name for Future.  I used it on the canopy and it did hide a myriad of scratches and a small crack.  Much thanks to Lou and Barry for support and encouragement.  Lou's P-38 was probably what got me thinking about doing this restoration and his treatise on decal making was of great help.  I also want to thank Imsjim and Joe for shareing their Strombecker restorations and providing a lot of inspiration.  Thanks to all those who make SMM work!

Mark
PS:  Serial number USAAF stencil font available here:  http://www.dafont.com/font.php?file=usaaf_stencil

cliff strachan

Very nice, Mark. Thanks for the views of a great achievement.
Cliff.

Ken Pugh

Very nice looking model, beautifully restored.  I bet the original builder never guessed it could look so good.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

Mark, you have done yourself proud. Your restoration work is worthy of note. Congratulations.

Lou

lastvautour

Balsabasher

Mark that is a superb restoration and what an achievement for only your fourth solid model,I really like the pale grey finish it looks very effective on the P-80A,well done for producing such a high class model in the way that you have done.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Barry, I guess it's my fifth solid if you count a Hudson Old Timer Rambler car that I built a few years ago.  It's the fourth airplane.  

The photo here shows myself (left) and my twin brother Martin sitting on a wing of the Lockheed P-80C mentioned at the start of this thread.  The photo dates from 1958, we're three years old and the location is near Cleveland, Ohio.  The photo was no doubt taken by our grandfather, Frank Johnston, who would play a large role in introducing my brother and I to aviation and models before he passed away in 1962.  This would be approximately our first visit to the old fighter but we would visit it many, many more times throughout our youth.  We even spent time there with a couple of girls on the night of our high school graduation in 1973.  Later on it was dismantled by the Navy and taken to Pensacola for restoration.   I don't know where the old plane is today but we last knew to be in California.

Mark

lastvautour

It is very nice to have a personal link to inspire us. Thanks for letting us in on your history with the P-80.

Lou

Balsabasher

Thats a great story Mark,the P-80A has certainly been part of your life and the model is something special as well,thats a delightful old photrograph,these sort of things are precious to our individual lives.
Barry.