• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 S.E.5a

Started by Mark Braunlich, November 22, 2012, 03:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Braunlich

Not the best photo but here's the finished airscrew.

lastvautour

Well done Mark. Your prop looks very realistic. Are you planning on having it rotate on the model?

Lou

Mark Braunlich

Painting and decaling are proceeding.  Markings represent one of the SE5As prepared for the Oxford vs Cambridge air race in July, 1921, G-EAXU being the overall winner of that race.  Registration on the fuselage is masked and painted.  The underwing markings are home brew decals.

lastvautour

Nice work on the markings Mark.

Lou

Marsh

Hi,  A very nice job, thanks for the info in all your post.
ATB  Marsh.

Mark Braunlich

Update photo.  Tail has been painted Cambridge blue, aluminum radiator shutters have been fitted and a modified cast lead Skybirds pilot has been seated in the cockpit.  The second photo shows the takeoff of the Cambridge team in the 1921 Oxford-Cambridge Air Race.  The aeroplane being modeled is at far left in the photo.

lastvautour

Your details make it hard to believe it is a scratch built wooden model and not a plastic casting. Your skills are to be envied.

Lou

Balsabasher

And what a different change from the usual RFC colours,the civilian SE5a's were used amongst other things for smoke writing in the sky for early advertising,the image had to be done in 'reverse' whilst flying via a small mirror ! there is a picture around of one writing 'Persil' in the clouds,my father remembered seeing one making an hash of the message,the pilot then put a puff of white smoke through the message in effect crossing it out ! the chap behind these operations was called Jack Savage,one of his modified aircraft G-EBIA hangs in the Science museum collection at Wroughton,UK,I helped with the restoration by providing some pictures a long time ago.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Here's link to the competition for which this model is to be one of the awards.
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php/topic,12955.0.html

Jack Savage was at the original 1921 race that this competition is based on.   He appears in one of the photos at reply #82 on page 4.

Mark Braunlich

More tiny bits.  Here are the exhaust manifolds soldered up from brass wire before some paint goes on.  The thick parts were gone over with a torch to give them a burnt metal look.   The coin is a US dime ($0.10).

lastvautour

You did such great work with such delicate pieces.

Lou

buccfan

A great looking model with some skillfull detail work. I like the colour scheme. Best regards Paul J.

Mark Braunlich

Thought about stealing some wheels from a plastic kit but in the end I made these.  Chucked 1" lengths of 5/16" dia wood dowel in my electric drill and went to work with files and sanding blocks.  They look better for real than in this photo which is greatly magnified.  The outside dia of the o-ring tyre is 9.5mm.

lastvautour

Great wheels. That will enhance an alreadty great model.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

My S.E.5a is finished.  Still need to complete the trophy.