• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 S.E.5a

Started by Mark Braunlich, November 22, 2012, 03:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

That is great. It will give the illusion of fabric covered surfaces.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

Lou,
See link: http://www.mcmaster.com/#phenolic-sheets/=l0neq2

I bought the Machineable Garolite LE.

Balsabasher

I think you will find that in a lot of cases Fibreboard has been replaced in the auto industry by other materials,the main use today was in the making of fibre washers for such things as fuel pipe seatings ,but in many cases these have now reverted to nylon.
If anyone does know of a modern source of this material then I would like to know ?
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Barry,

You might want to try Tufnol in Birmingham, contact details in link:
http://www.tufnol.com/tufnol/default.asp

It appears the old stuff is still used in aircraft construction programs.

Mark Braunlich

Undercarriage is on, just need to make the two bullet fairings that covered the bungee shock cords.

lastvautour

Very nice set up. The recipient of the trophy will be very pleased.

Lou

buccfan

Tufnol was used at work quite a lot in the pattern makers shop for aircraft tooling and as Mark said on airtool vanes in our windy drills.

Mark Braunlich

After a coat of Dupli-Color primer and rescribing some of the obliterated panel lines.

Peter

It's looks great Mark! The primer has brought out the detail. Can't wait to see it finished.

Peter

lastvautour

I agree with Peter. Mighty fine work indeed.

Lou

cliff strachan

Well, Mark it certainly looks fine. I wish I knew as much about these materials as they were used in model making and "real MacCoy" aircraft, skybirds and some of the more famous modellers. Sometime perhaps you could consider a tutorial or other means to enlighten us old dudes. By the way, how do you intend to attach wheels to your model?
Cliff.

Mark Braunlich

The only modeling I accomplished today was getting this stick of black walnut (?) to size and cutting out the propeller patten and getting it glued down straight.  Odd as it sounds, that was enough.   I did fix a leaky toilet today :).

Balsabasher

What a lovely SE5A Mark,you have done the subject proud.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Thank you gentlemen.

Here's the S.E.5a propeller blank ready for shaping of the blades.  Small, isn't it?

lastvautour

Small but finely cut. Nice job so far.

Lou