• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Just one thing, Raymond . . .

Started by scottzepher, March 19, 2012, 01:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottzepher

What?  Thought you could just post a changing-of-the-guard without anyone starting a thread about what a great thing you've done?

Okay, so I'm practically a "lurker,"  haven't posted since I finished my P-40, but there isn't a day goes by when I have two thoughts:

1) When am I getting down to the shop next?  (been there, BTW, and photos are forthcoming)
                   2) Wonder what the SMM guys are up to?

When I first started looking for modeling websites, SMM appeared.  I have only found one other site that even comes close to the quantity of safe, pertinent, diverse and immensely interesting information, but more importantly the quality of individuals that run and sustain it.  Thank you, Ray, for making it possible. 

Tom Becker, aka ScottZepher

Jim

Hard to know just what to say, Ray. Except to say, thank you for creating this place...this community...this little home. For opening our eyes to something many of us really knew very little about, and which now gives us so much satisfaction and fulfillment. The power of words does not adequately equip us with the means to express our gratitude to you for your vision and your effort. Please accept my best good wishes and sincerest thanks.

Jim Atkins
"Fingers"
And so it goes...

Balsabasher

R.F I bow to you and thank you for all of the hard work done in creating this site over the years,I think that you are doing the right thing in bowing out so gracefully due to your present circumstances,it is hard enough getting ourselves through the latter stages of life when even getting up in the morning is a challenge in itself ! your foresight and knowledge to set up SMM saved the tradition of building solids and has been a huge success whichever way that you look at things,the plans archive bank alone is a remarkable achievement and continues to grow making probably the most comprehensive record of drawings for solids anywhere,you can be justifiebly very proud of what has been achieved here,this small spot in cyberspace is established and here to stay,as a group of members we will make sure of that to continue the passion that you have shown and above all make these resources available for the future.
I think it was your 'Flying Aces' plans that personally drew me here in the first place,I immediately set to work and made some models from those old pulp magazine plans,I had prior to this only a mere handful of magazines from that period but here before me were glorious issues from the golden years of aviation all ready to cut wood and read those wonderful old articles such as 'Hawke flys the Electra' !
I wish you well in everything that you will be doing and will know that you will always be the founding shadow in the background to everything we enjoy here thanks to yourself, despite stepping back which I think was a wise decision at the right time,you have given all and have firmly set the seeds and given us the tools,all we need to do now is to honour and build upon what you have given us for the years ahead.
With gratitude,Barry aka 'Balsabasher'

Peter

Hello Ray,

Everyone else has already stated things very eloquently so all I can add is my profound thank you for starting this forum. I grew up with my Mom telling me stories about my uncle in Windsor, Ontario carving airplanes out of solid wood in the 1930s. I never thought I would actually have the opportunity to learn how to build one. Your forum gave me the the encouragement and mentorship (thanks Lou) to give it a try. You've built a very fine community. I hope you keep in touch with forum.

Peter

cliff strachan

Hi Ray, There's really nothing that I can add to the super abundance of notes of appreciation that the group has already presented. However I can certainly attest to what you have implied and Barry has confirmed regarding the difficulty that one has with health issues as they grow older while at the same time trying to maintain and support such a hobby as ours. Again this should make you doubly proud at having accomplished so much in the face of so much adversity. For this I proudly join the rest in thanking you for your time and far sightedness with respect to SMM. I must remind you that with all the accolades, with all the obviously heartfelt expressions of appreciation, and with all the admiration that has come to you today you have achieved a level of reward that seldom is experienced in a life time. Therefore - wait for it for here comes the pitch - don't be surprised if you are called forth from retirement to give us your take on where we go from here. As I see it no movement can rest on its laurels. We are as good as any other similar venture and perhaps even in some respects better. No commercial industry is capable of providing a model of every historical aircraft - there just isn't sufficient demand. And besides soon the populace will again be required to find - as we have - personal satisfaction in less intrusive activities - more environmentally compatible and more individualistically involved.

Oceaneer99

Ray and I spoke on the phone this evening, and I would like to reiterate the thanks that we all feel for the work he has done to make this web site and pull together the diverse group of members who frequent it.  Ray first discussed how he would like to turn over operation of the web site quite some time ago, and he has let me learn gradually since then.

Many of you remember when Solid Model Memories was hosted on a free site.  We had little control over the site and its support, and when the hosting company decided to close down all of the web sites, Ray handled the difficult transition to our current hosted site.  He found the hosting company, set up all of the forum and gallery programs, administrator email, and other support, and ran a fund-raising to host the site for the first few years. His very thorough and hard work has made it possible for a small group of volunteers to operate the site since then, greatly expand membership, add numerous plans and drawings, and to add features such as polls, voting, tutorials, and build reports.

I salute Ray and thank him for his time, effort, and heart that he put into Solid Model Memories.  I know that he will still be with us and will join in when he is able.

Thank you, Ray.

I relieve you, Sir!

Garet
Oceaneer99

Marsh

Thank's Ray for this site and all your work. I know you have left it in good hands of Lou and Garet. Hope you still post some work and plans.
ATB  Marsh.

cliff strachan

Again I wish to thank Ray for so much he has done for solid models in general and for the Group: Solid Model Memories in particular. As in changing of the guard or a monarchy, as it may apply in some cases, I wish to greet, recognize and extend my total support and commitment to the goals and aspirations of SMM as expressed by our new General Manager or Director: Garet - Oceaneer99. Remember, Garet, that although you have a tough act to follow, you have a large following to call upon for input and support.
Cliff.

Oceaneer99

I should have added that we are grateful for the many members who have helped to make this group so successful!

Garet

Balsabasher

And on a practical level Garet please let us know of any financial assessment for the sites future ie the costs of the web pages.
Thank you,Barry.