• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Hello from a new member

Started by Mothman, September 13, 2011, 08:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mothman

Not aircraft or cars, but still basically carved, from silver-soldered up carcasses.
A narrow gauge model railway master in brass and nickel silver.
I do several of these for one guy who has purpose made chassis.  Tiny things they are too as they all run on 9mm track.
Martin

Mothman

Finally,
a remarkable piece of work by a very good friend of mine who is currently recovering from serious surgery.  Rich never used plastic or metal for anything.
This liberty aero engine destined for a 1/12th scale model boat is made entirely by hand entirely of wood.  The man is clearly mad, but one of my bestest mates, even though I've never met him.

Cheers,
Martin

Balsabasher

Beautiful model building Martin,everything the cars the loco and that remarkable engine ! you are clearly a man of many talents and skills in various materials,and why not ? if it fits the bill and works then do it.
Barry.

Mothman

Thanks Barry.  I always try to use what suits the job, although I like using certain materials best.
The engine is my friend, Rich's work.  He is perfectly capable of milling the piece from solid steel, but simply chooses not to, but to make it in wood.  I believe that shows a certain artistry as well as craftsmanship.

Here's a genuinely carved piece, albeit in brass.  A lump of brass filed into an Alfa-Romeo Spider.  It was for casting into an Alfa themed Monopoly game.  The guy would ring up in the morning and I'd send the model by last post at 5-30 same day!

Martin

Ken Pugh

Excellent!  Thanks for the taste, may we please have more!

Ken Pugh

Mothman

Well, let me see.
Two more BTCC cars, Mondeo and a Cavalier.  Carved in CIBATool to that silly 1/20th scale I hate so much!

Martin

Mothman

Four Packard aero engines in 1/8th scale. These were moulded from a single carved wooden master.
There were also carvings for the superchargers, carburettors and gearboxes.
Miss America X had four of these things totalling 6400 HP in a 40 foot boat.  He only just beat the British Miss BritainIII which was 27 ft. long and had only about 900 HP. In fact if Gar Wood hadn't have changed the course at the very last minute, his monster would have had no chance of victory.  Even he was moved to say MBIII gave him his closest race.
The complete model is in Artie's Restaurant, Fairfax, Virginia, USA along with one or two others of their ilk.

Martin

Mothman

Last one today.
This is a finished model of the Jaguar XJ13 Le Mans car that never was. This was the first in a small range of model car kits I used to produce under the name of Guild Master Models. 
The body for this was first carved in English lime in layers of 4mm thick.  This enabled every curve of this very curvy car to be checked for symmetry as the layer joints act as contour lines as on a map.
Believe it or not I still have that wooden pattern...somewhere!

lastvautour

Outstanding work. Thank you for sharing. Laminated wood does provide for nice guide lines.

Lou

Mothman

Thanks Lou, there isn't a straight line on this car except for the bottom of the cill, so laminations were essential. I ain't big on templates!  I know, I should make them and I do sometimes for model slot cars, but on the whole, I'm a lazy divil and tend to trust my eyes!

Here's a slot car made of pear in 6 pieces, built up as a box and then carved with files and home made chisels.
An Austin-Healey Sprite Mk II in 1/32nd scale.

Mothman

Here's the same kind of deal in pearwood (like the Sprite), only on this Clan Crusader you can see the wood.  Also 1/32nd scale.

Mothman

And then there's this ghastly stuff. Someone suggested I work in blue wax.  It is horrible stuff and after I got to this stage I had the thing moulded in resin and finished it off in that.
Please don't waste your time.  You actually need a blow-torch to put more on or it'll fall off!
This is a very rare Delage Labourdettes Accuvue. The cabin is all glass without pillars.  It competed at Le Mans before the War.
Martin