• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Japanese tools

Started by Oceaneer99, July 15, 2011, 05:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

We are seeing here some really outstanding and beautiful workmanship,the blades on this propeller look just right and as we all know this is no easy task to achieve such a delicate curve like this,I am looking at these tools especially that knife and thinking how much I want one myself ! it is so re-assuring to know that carving in general is alive in Japan especially as these tools are readily available.
Kenji you are a true master and we can learn so much from you.
Barry.

K_mars

Lou and Barry,

Thank you so much.
I am not a master so that you are said. But I like engraving a wood.

The processes to make a propeller seem to be as follows.

1.I can make it with thin materials than I think by a drawing.This is because a blade is twisted.
2.I make the blade with two pieces of sets. This method is to make it easy to grasp it by hand.Most make only a knife.
3.I finish it with sandpaper and paint with sanding sealer.

Balsabasher

That makes good sense Kenji,the most difficult part to reproduce is the helical pitch which I can see you have incorporated,my father who was a wizard at making flying propellers for rubber driven models used to scrape the rear of the propeller with a piece of glass held in a cloth,he would make his 'glass tools' by placing a bottle into a thick cloth and smash it against the ground,then he would find a suitable piece to scrape with,he told me that glass was sharper than most ordinary tools,but this method would be difficult to our small scales.
A propeller is something that looks easy but it is not to reproduce,yours are the finest that I have seen,the explanation is excellent with those drawings.
Barry.

K_mars

Barry,

The propeller of the flying model from which your father is made is difficult.
What I am making seems to be it and the seen imitation.
I want to learn in what process modelers are making the propeller.

kenji.

Balsabasher

I will photograph the stages in making my next miniature propeller,there is a definate technique that ensures the realistic pitch change throughout the blades.
We are proving now that what we think are easy tasks are not but with mutual help can be simplified,by discussing them we are all learning a lot,interchange of ideas is refreshing.
Barry.

cliff strachan

It is without a doubt beautiful workmanship, Kenji
Cliff.