• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Japanese tools

Started by Oceaneer99, July 15, 2011, 05:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

Kenji posted a photo of his Japanese carving tools:

He pointed out that the plane is a traditional Japanese pull plane.

There has been a lot of interest in recent years in Japanese tools here in the US and I believe also in the UK (I occasionally buy UK woodworker's magazines).  In particular, Japanese saws ("pull saws"; the most common ones sold in the States are: "dozuki", "ryoba" types).

Garet

Balsabasher

Now a pull plane make good sense,much like the traditional spokeshave the advantages are more control with the pulling motion,the bench stop would also work in reverse,interesting tools Garet and I would not mind a set in my toolkit.
Are these available outside of Japan ?
Barry.

lastvautour

In comparison, there is a multitude of tools in my basement. With just the basic tools Kenji has made outstanding models that rank amongst the best I have seen. Congratulations on such fine skills.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou I could do with a wide chisel like the one that you have in the picture,most useful.

Kenji uses so few tools but produces masterpieces,we can learn a lot from him.

Barry.

scottzepher

When I first got into woodworking there was a fancy tool shop in NYC that sold Japanese tools.  I bought the carpenter's knife (third from left in picture) and an assortment of waterstones.  I've yet to get the hang of the waterstones, but the knife is great either in removing large amounts of wood or minor detail work.  It's also the easiest blade I have to keep sharp.

Tom

Peter

Some Japanese working tools are carried by

www.leevalley.com

I have purchased my Japanese from them and they're excellent quality for eight bucks each! They also so have Japanese finger files that look quite useful as well as some Japanese carving knives. Excellent company with excellent service.

Also I have heard good things about this company from a Whittling email group I have joined
http://www.japanwoodworker.com/page.asp?content_id=10045

I think they carry most of the tools in Kenji's photo.

Peter

Oceaneer99

Come to think of it, Ray gave me a Japan Woodworker catalog a while back...

Ken Pugh

These tools are a challenge to research.  There are some people selling tools that are shaped like the Japanese tools, but the metallurgy is not the same.  This does not work because they are doing different things with the steel.

Take the chisel, for example.  We have chisels in the west with the same shape, but it is a solid steel, probably a stainless steel on the low quality items or good carbon steel on the better chisels.  The Japanese frequently use layered steels.  I don't know all the details but they are keen on making the tool that takes and holds a good edge, but also needs to be used with a certain technique and that works best on native woods.  There is a lot to absorb.

I have seen some tools on the Japan Woodworker site that are very cheap, which is a caution flag for me, but appear to be made the proper way.  I am especially intrigued with the tools that are just the steel without handles.  That is a pain for the beginner but the journeyman woodworker has no problem at all making the handle that he wants instead of suffering with what the manufacturer provides.  I am glad we have a thread for this topic now so we can learn what they original Japanese tools are supposed to do and post where they can be found in the west.

Overall, I am glad we finally have a Japanese modeller on our site because I am eager to learn their techniques, tools, and materials.  I am constantly looking at other disciplines for some small technique to add to my skill set.  We definitely need a project board for Kenji.

Ken Pugh

Balsabasher

Ken interesting comments especially on the layered steel,I agree also having Kenji onboard is so interesting,we have a lot to learn,just look at his models they are superb,yes a board for Kenji please.

Barry.

K_mars

Thank you.

I want to show you the Japanese tools and to show the usage.

The knife is said, "kogatana"or"kurikogatana". It is a thing that can be bought anywhere in Japan.
I can help you.

Other interesting Japanese tools are ready also to show.

This photo is cowling of Nakajima Ki-84.I made it for an exercise of exact work.The tools which I used is simple things such as a knife or the chisel.

kenji.

Ken Pugh

Thank you very much, Kenji.  That blade is available at the link below.

http://japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=01%2E041%2E06&dept_id=13221

Is the knife you are using beveled only on the right side or both sides?

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

The workmanship on the cowling is awesome. Is this a finished model? Are the different colours of the wood different pieces of the same wood or a different type?

Lou

K_mars

Ken,

I am using beveled only on the right side.

The under is "kurikogatana". It uses it to scoop out the hole.

http://japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=11.048&dept_id=13221

This photo my knife.This knife can plane aluminum.

kenji.

K_mars

Lou,

It is producing it still. The same tree with different color is used.

This is a propeller of the same airplane.

kenji.

lastvautour

It is a beautiful propeller. I need to learn a lot from you.

Lou