• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Dornier Do 17P plan

Started by Oceaneer99, April 15, 2011, 07:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

Dave T. drew up a lovely Dornier Do 17P plan:

That's really nicely done, Dave!  Years ago, we had a discussion of "Neo-ID Plans", which we described as modern plans made in the style of the WW II ID model plans.  I started to draw one for my Yak-1000 model, but it stalled out and is only half done (when I started the drawing, I learned I had to get a new CAD program, so I tried out many of them until I found one that would work, but I was still learning how to use it well).  Somewhere, I have scribbled notes about the first pages of plans (the one with the perspective drawing and assembly instructions).  I found that they almost all followed similar rules, margins, and layouts.  The templates pages (similar to Dave's above) had much more variation because of the huge variation in size between models.

Garet

Balsabasher

Excellent retro drawing,keeping up the tradition of these special drawings and why not expand on them with more modern subjects ? the style of presentation works really well for building.
Barry.

Ken Pugh

Nicely made plan.  Thanks.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

Great work Dave. Looking forward to your next subject. Will you be making this into an ID Recognition model?

Lou
P.S. Thanks for bringing this to our attention Garet.

dave_t

Garet,
      Wasn't that neo-ID project about four or five years ago? Back then we had a discussion about fonts and I had saved all of that stuff (I recently found a fairly good font). It took a while.

Thanks Ken, I always wondered why the Do-17 was not included in the series as it was actually used in combat, while other types on the list seemed obsolete way before 1942.

Barry, that is a good idea about doing some modern types. So many choices, where to begin?

Lou, I made one in 1/144 to test the plan, although I did not try all of the cross-sections.

Balsabasher

Dave,your plan/s could be easily used as the basis for a cookup in the future ? what I like about these drawings is that you have everything worked out for you leaving the model to get cracking with,it is so easy to transfer the parts to templates or the model if you wish via photostat copies pasted into place.
Where to start ? yes a bg question,but I am going to pull a few out of the hat to think about as landmarks -

Hawker Hunter
F-86 Sabre
Avro Anson
DHC-1 Chipmunk
Bell X-1
Vickers Viscount
DHC Beaver
Bristol Sycamore helicopter
T-28 Trojan
Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer
F-100 Super Sabre

Purely at random and based on attractive subjects,there are lots more !
Barry.

Ken Pugh

Glad you mentioned the T-28.  It has been very difficult finding plans for that plane.

Ken Pugh

Mark Braunlich

T-28B

Balsabasher

Mark has kindly come to our rescue again with this excellent drawing.
Barry.

Ken Pugh

Thanks!  I used to live on Keesler Air Force Base as a kid when they were training South Vietnamese pilots in the T-28.  Brings back memories.

Ken Pugh

Oceaneer99

Dave,

Yes, our Neo-ID discussion was about 5 years ago.  I found the "Sublime" font from MyFonts is a good match for the Leroy template lettering used on parts of the plans.  If I remember, there is another font on the plans as well.

The choice of subjects in the original ID model series is interesting.  The Air and Space Museum's catalog sheet (a pdf on their web site) even indicates that it is not clear if some of the planes even existed (particularly the Japanese designs).  And of course, there is always the German Heinkel He-113, which fooled a lot of people.

Garet

Lotus-14

The T-28 plan are from the North American Aviation collection that they use to send out to modelers in the dim dark past.  Does anyone out there have the F-51H plans they published?

Lotus-14

That's it, thank you very much.  I have an old Monarch P-51H control-line model, which would appeal to solid builders as it is designed as all ready carved solid parts, with a hollowed fuselage.  I have been thinking of turning it into a display model, so these plans will be of use.

Balsabasher

Lotus any chance of scanning those P-51 plans and placing them into our archives ? it sounds very interesting.
Barry.