• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Popular Science Plans

Started by Oceaneer99, January 11, 2010, 05:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

Dave,

Thank you for posting those Popular Science plans by Donald Clark and others.  They are very interesting to see and certainly an important part of the history of solids.

There are a number of unusual aspects to the plans:

- simplified scale details
- 1/32 scale (reduced in the magazine)
- flat cardboard or metal tail surfaces

I have also been looking at some of the similar ship model articles (some of which are already in the gallery).

I've been checking in your Model Airplane News plans; most of them are now in their final directory.  Thank you for posting those as well.

I have a bit of a hard-copy plans backlog at the moment that I'm working through.  Ray gave me some older ship and airplane plans to work on.  I have scanned about half of them but I need to do some restoration before I can post them (old, brittle paper).  Also, I bought some Cleveland Modelmaking News issues over the summer that I need to scan.  There are some nice plans in there: at 1/96 scale!

Garet

Balsabasher

These plans are just the job and I like their simple but effective construction,also there are types here that others have not done,the Miles Mohawk was a real surprise and what a little beauty it is ! thank you to everyone here involved with getting these plans in their rightful place,they represent timeless treasures of past golden years of solids,long may they reign.
Barry.

Joe

Dave,

Let me add my thanks, too.  Until recently I had only been interested in restoring old Strombeckers, but you gents have rekindled my interest in building from scratch, something I have not done since I was a lad in the 50's.  My first scratch project is in progress and sitting on my workbench, awaiting my return from a holiday. When I finish it, the Consolidated A-11 looks like just the ticket for my second scratch project!

I recall that fine magazine from my boyhood days and always loved the drawings of the projects.  I remember making a pair of bookends for my dad from such a set of plans. 

Thanks, again,

Joe

Oceaneer99

Wow, I see Dave is hard at work on the Popular Science Aeronca L:

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-3658

He also posted the plan:

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-3657

It's neat to see you trying out the metal tail surfaces per the original plan.

Garet

dave_t

The aluminum is about 1/16-inch thick, maybe a bit more than that. It was fairly easy to cut on the jigsaw. It seemed a better material than the cardboard option. It is rather tail heavy at the moment.

I plan on making the engine cylinders from 3/16-inch bolts split in half. I thought brass would be easy to work with.

The prop is supposed to be metal too.

dave_t

Some propeller-making tips attached

dave_t

How to make a radial engine with small machine screws- see attached...

lastvautour

Thanks for posting. I see I will be doing my pushrods different in future.

Lou

dave_t

After Joe submitted a 3-view of the Bell Airacuda to the gallery, I decided to post the Popular Science version. As it was considered a "mystery plane" in 1937 the drawing is not very accurate, but fun to look at anyway.

Balsabasher

Dave,I think thats the fun of these old drawings as we can build them as they were 'warts and all' I love the name mystery ship as well ! there were quite a few mystery ships in those golden years of aviation.
Barry.

Joe

Dave,

I agree with Barry: these old drawings are fun to look at and study.  The more the merrier as far as I am concerned.  I am late to this party, but everytime I see an old magazine, I look for material such as you posted and tuck it in my "archives".  I still have some more items that I need to scan for inclusion. 

Keep up the good "work" (= fun)!

Joe

Joe

Quote from: dave_t on January 14, 2010, 08:27:55 PM
The aluminum is about 1/16-inch thick, maybe a bit more than that. It was fairly easy to cut on the jigsaw. It seemed a better material than the cardboard option. It is rather tail heavy at the moment.

Dave,

Let me engage in a bit of heresy here.  Why not use a third option not mentioned in the original article:  make the tail surfaces of 1/16" wood?  Surely pine, bass, vertical grain doug fir, etc. would work just fine.  I am puzzled as to why the original author eschewed that choice.  Even hand tools can be used to make "lumber" of that thickness.  And one clear benefit would be a less tail-heavy model.  Of course, if you are trying to make a vintage-style model, your motivation is pure and saintly!

Joe

dave_t

I had a look through the SMM gallery archives and found two models have already been built (a couple of years ago?) from the 1930s Popular Science magazine plans. Both were made by Jeff H.

The Fairchild 24...

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=1

and a Stinson SR5...

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=1

Balsabasher

What beauties,classic subjects in wood,what more could you ask ? thanks for showing these hidden treasures.
Barry.

JeffH

Besides the Fairchild 24 and Stinson SR5, I've also built the Waco (shown elsewhere on the site) and am still working on the Lockheed 12.  The Stinson is one of my favorites from that series, and I hope to make another one someday.  The model in the picture is actually cream and orange colored; the picture was scanned from a printed photo and the print turned out red instead of orange for some reason.

Jeff