Joe

Joe

Tim,

Here is the USS Warrington. 

Regards,

Joe

Joe

Dave,

I have taken the liberty of attaching one more photo to this thread.  It is a photo of some of my vintage 30's Strombecker model airlplanes, all done in the natural finish that you fancied.   They are hanging from the ceiling of my  sanctum sanctorum.  As you can see the linen thread I used to hang them is a bit of an overkill in terms of "diameter".  I plan to go to a more reasonable nylon thread someday...

Regards,

Joe

R.F.Bennett

Joe, do you have a membership in the gallery?  You can post much larger images there.
Would you like your own builders board?

RFB
"The Dude Abides"

dave_t

It would be nice to see larger shots of them, still, they look good. What is the twin engine flying boat, a Grumman of some sort? That one really caught my eye.

Joe

Hi, Dave,

The twin engine flying boat is a Sikorsky S-43.  I will endeavor to get some close-ups of these models in the not-too-distant future.

Regards,

Joe

dave_t

Thanks for answering all my questions Joe. ;)

Joe

Tim,

It would seem that I was a Boy Scout about the same time you were:  the 50's.  I was raised in Southern California and the hobby shop in my hometown was called Heywood's;  it was a real treat to ride my bike there, ogle the model airplanes hanging from the ceiling and partake of something else Mr. Heywood sold, soft drinks or milk shakes.  His store was both a hobby shop and an ice cream store! 

However, unlike your experience, the Boy Scouts led me to change hobbies from model building to American Indian handicrafts.  Have you noticed my avatar?  I made all the items on the mannikin...

At any rate, I hope the scans I made have helped you.

Regards,

Joe

Joe

Dave,

I am glad that I could answer your questions.  I enjoyed Strombecker models as a youth and the interest has not seemed to flag with time.  I began collecting kits and finished models awhile back and then decided to try my hand at restoration.  As an adult, I have not built any kits:  I prefer to restore the old, beat-up models that seem to appear regularly around here.   

Regards,

Joe

Oceaneer99

I have finished the restoration of the USS Hobby destroyer plans by Monogram and will post them in the next few days.

Garet

Lotus-14

Hello again,

I wanted to thank everyone for the great replies to my request.  I would still like to see the LST plans.
I have a copy of the Monogram USS Chicago, which I will scan and add to the site.
I have been busy, and have not had time to do much model building, but i plan on submitting some info and pictures soon.
I'm working on a small diorama of the USS California using bits and pieces from an old built up model.
As soon as I am done, I'll post it.

Regards to all,
Tim

Oceaneer99

Tim,

Joe sent me the LST plans a while back.  They aren't ready for posting, but I'll e-mail you the raw scans.

Garet

Oceaneer99

animek

Garet

Even though your plans copies are not clean, I would put them up into the gallery, I may just tackle myself a few clean up here and there when I have time. otherwise it may take for ever to bring all those drawing up only if there are cleaned. ;D

Regards

Ben

Jim

Is that all there is to these Monogram ship models, or are pages missing from the plans? It seems they all lack important details, without which I'm not sure I'd want to even attempt building them.

Specifically, there's nothing in the plans posted for the Gambier Bay or the LST that gives you an adequate view of the shape of the hull -- the flare of the bows, for instance, or the contour of the stern. and Neither the Gambier Bay, the LST, nor the Missouri plans  give you details of the many pieces that go together to make up the superstructure. All you have is the overhead and side view of the assembled model. There's no way I can see that you could build an accurate model from that alone.

So are we missing something here? Or am I? ???

Interestingly, the older, less sophisticated, plans -- such as those for the Texas and warrington -- do show the supwerstructure pieces in detail, although they seem to lack templates or illustrations for the hull contours. Is that all left to the imagination?

Inquiring minds wanna know!
And so it goes...