• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Profile Scale models

Started by Oceaneer99, September 11, 2008, 05:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

As many of you already know, we had a Profile Scale/Simple Scale/Garet Scale group build back in 2007.  See:
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=90

I ran across a youtube video in which a modeler shows his construction of a Fokker GI, also in profile scale:

YouTube - Fokker G.I. 1:48 Profile Scale Model
www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5lmXfkPrhI
Aug 19, 2008 ... A movie about a Fokker GI model I made.To build the model I used wood (4mm MDF) a profile saw and some paint.

I sent the builder an invitation to join us.

Garet

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Hi,

Thanks for the invite!
And thanks for bringing my video under the attention of others.
;D

I have been doing this for quite a while.
Former projects were
- 1:72 Spitfire MkI
- 1:48 Hawker Tempest MkV
- 1:48 Henschel Hs P.75 in Crimson Skies Ace "Paladin Blake" colour scheme.

I will post some pictures if you are interested...

Right now I'm working on a new project: P-51B Mustang "Peggy" (my wife's name :-))

lastvautour

Welcome to the group. We love all sorts of wood model pictures. I even made flying simple scale models in my youth but now just stick to those that sit on the shelf. Again, welcome and we await your participation in our group projects and discussions. Please join or ping for the month of Sep.

Lou

Oceaneer99

We're glad you joined us!  We're definitely interested in the photos of your models.  There is a separate registration for the gallery, but once you register, you'll have your own album for photos.

Garet

scottzepher

Hello and Welcome!

I'd love to see pictures of your work as well, especially the "Crimson Skies" model.

Tom (aka ScottZepher)

1.JaVA_LGorrit

I have uploaded some low-res images yesterday.
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/index.php?cat=10080
I have to find some time to make some good pictures of my models.

I'm finished drawing up the P-51B, I think I will be sawing the outlinings this evening.
Can't wait to start on the next one also, MiG15 "Fagot"

Regards,

Jorrit

scottzepher

Jorrit,
       Nice work!  What references did you use?

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Thanks,  :)
For the Spit Mk1a, I took the profile from a 3 View Posterbook I have about 2nd WW Military Aviation...
A colleague gave it to me one day.

The TEMPEST profile I ripped from Googling Tempest profile.  ;D
The 320 Sq did not have any Tempests, but this one was just for fun...

For the "Bloodhawk" I made screenshots from the game and printed them, and then recreated the profile on wood.

I draw the profiles on 4mm MDF (Medium-Density Fibreboard) and then saw them out with a profile saw (manually).
I sand the pieces and then paint a ground layer first.

Then I apply the painting (acryllic) and when it is dry I construct the plane to one piece.
Then a finishing (also Acryl Finish) layer over the paint and I'm done.

Sorry if I am rambling about  :D I did not quite get what you meant by "references"  :P

lastvautour

Nice work. Glad you joined us and glad to see your models.

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Thanks Lou...
I'm working on my sixth model now.
I really feel like I am learning and improving every time I make a new one...
The Spitfire Mk1a was the first one.
I made a big mistake by first assembling the plane and then painting it.
It was a true nightmare.

I have just finished this model...
A Fokker G1:

Anyway I'm really glad to have received an invitation for this board, seeing the models made by you guys really inspires and motivates me...

Thanks for having me  :)

Jorrit

scottzepher

Rambling Motivational Inspiration--that's what separates the true forums from the rants and egos.

Tom

Oceaneer99

Quote from: 1.JaVA_LGorrit on September 15, 2008, 07:38:04 PM
I made a big mistake by first assembling the plane and then painting it.
It was a true nightmare.

I was just noticing that you paint them first.  I have been gluing mine together first, but I admit that your method might be quite a bit easier!

Garet

Kenny Horne

Jorrit,

Great to see your models and have you as part of the gang.  These little models have been a blessing for me as they have allowed me to tinker without committine much time or space (tight commodities for me at the moment).  Your models are a bit different in form and technique that what I've been doing and I really appreciate seeing the problem from a different perspective. 

Take care and talk to you later,

KennyH

lastvautour

Looking at Jorrit's models reminded me of some old simple scale model I flew in the mid 1980s. Same principle, but powered by the reliable Cox .049.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1847

lastvautour

I was dropping off my nephew at the military air terminal in Greenwood and found some rather large scale profile models hanging from the ceiling. I plan on going back later this week and take photos.

Lou