• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

New in the Forum

Started by Marcos Borges, July 03, 2008, 11:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcos Borges

Hi guys
I'm from Brazil and new here in the forum.
I like to build solid models most in the 1:144 and 1:72 scales (civil aircraft and classic jet fighters).
I have found this forum and the Solid Model Memories gallery and registered on both sites and hope to learn a lot and share some stuff about this hobby.
Thanks,
Marcos.

Ken Pugh

Hi Marcos,

Welcome aboard.  We look forward to seeing some of your models in the gallery.

Ken Pugh

Marcos Borges

Hi Ken
Thank you.
I open an album on the SMM Gallery with two pictures of an HS 748 that i made in 1:144.
It is in the VARIG old colors.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/index.php?cat=10064

I also have an step by step gallery for the HS 748 in the following link but it is in portuguese.

http://mmborges.com/plasti/avro01.htm

Marcos.

lastvautour

Welcome Marcos. We look forward to you also giving us some tips on your construction methods. Again, welcome.

cliff strachan

Hi Marcos,

A really nice HS248. Wonderful work.

Cliff

Marcos Borges

Thank you Cliff.
I'm now starting a new project of the same plane in the Brazilian Air Force colors.
As soon i have some progress i will upload some pictures.
Marcos.

Oceaneer99

Marcos,

You have some wonderful models on the gallery.  Thank you for joining us.  I found plans for the XP-77 some months ago, and my son and I thought it looked like an interesting subject.  He keeps the plans by his bed (he is 8 years old) to look at if he wakes up early.

You have done a fine job with your paint and decals as well.

I was interested to hear about your use of MDF for wings.  I haven't heard of that before, but imagine it could work quite well.  How do you seal the surface before priming it?

Garet

Marcos Borges

Thank you Garet
The MDF was easy to cut in my table saw (I think that it is the name in english). I cut the two wings the same time as i glued it before cut. Then I rough sand and made a pre finish with 150 grit.
I sealed the MDF with common wood sealant (I don´t know how to say in english). In portuguese we say that it is a "Nitrocelulose" based sealant. I used 3 coats of sealant and more fine grit sand papers (250, 380). Then I apply a coat of primer and wet sand with 400 and 600. I used palstic model putty to fix some minor incorrections and finish with a final primer coat and wet sand with 1200.

Here are some pictures:

I also have a good set of three view drawings. If you want i can send it or post in the galleries.

Marcos.

lastvautour

Thanks Marcos. great tutorial. We need all the building method we can muster. I never would have considered MDF. I must try it soon. Thanks again.

Lou

spider web

Dear Marcos....Beautiful work.

Question; Is that a DeWalt scroll saw in the pictures you have posted ?

As a senior citizen, I've managed to build up a nice shop that added a "HAWK" scroll saw to the equipment this year.

What a time saver.

imike24

Great :)

QuoteDear imike24,
Please Do not post unrelated links or spam in your posts. I can and will track your I.P. and report you to your service provider. If you are unsure as to the appropriateness of a link please send ME an IM first.
;D
RFB

scottzepher

Hello All and Welcome Marcos!
      I'm interested to know how much you've worked with MDF.  I've acquired quite a bit of it from work over the years, but I've only really used it as a backing for a veneered detail.  Have you ever used it for models larger than 1/72? 

Tom 

Balsabasher

Just be aware of the harmful dust that it produces,MDF needs to be treated with great care and a good mask,I have also used Jabroc in the past for models and pattern makers high density foam blocks,this is homogenous and takes paint nicely.
The MDF lies heavily in the lungs causing all sorts of problems,so please be careful everyone.
Balsabasher.

scottzepher

Quote from: Balsabasher on April 12, 2009, 11:33:11 AM
Just be aware of the harmful dust that it produces,MDF needs to be treated with great care and a good mask,I have also used Jabroc in the past for models and pattern makers high density foam blocks,this is homogenous and takes paint nicely.
The MDF lies heavily in the lungs causing all sorts of problems,so please be careful everyone.
Balsabasher.

Roger that!  There's also the formaldehyde used in the process--or have they done away with that?

Tom (back from injured reserve and and a computer crash)

Marcos Borges

Hi Tom,
Very sorry for the long time without replying the post.
I didn´t have too much practice with MDF. In the past I worked mainly with balsa. I´m now experimenting with copying resin cast models from the original model in wood, plastic and other materials. I did not yet used the MDF in large models.
Best Regards,
Marcos.