• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Chat line

Started by lastvautour, April 21, 2008, 04:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I would be great if we could see a name on line and chat while in the site. Garet is on line now.

Lou

Ken Pugh

There are many chat programs available that work.  Gera and I frequently chat on Windows Live Messenger.  You can even talk if you have the proper equipment, which we also do sometimes.  With fast internet connections talking online is easy.  If you look at the Members selection above, there are columns for various chat programs.  We can put that info into our profile.  I noticed today that three of us have listed our websites and I am the only one listing my MSN hotmail address, which is also your Messenger address.  If we all fill in that info, we can chat.  In addition, we can talk online if MSN if not with all of them.  We can also conference the call and talk as a group.

Headsets are now prevalent and cheap.  I also have an extension set connected to my sound card for ease of plugin.  This allows me to mute my speakers when I am on the headset.

Teamspeak is also available and works well for talking.  Gamers use it with their online games.  Gera and I used it on his Flight Simulator server.  Of course, I was frequently the only one speaking English but he was there to translate for me.  Try telling jokes in several languages until everybody gets it.

It is truly amazing what is available for no additional cost.  That was why Microsoft was sued for a "monopoly."  They were buying up technology and giving it away with their operating system when other companies wanted to charge you for it.

Messenger can be had free from here:

http://get.live.com/messenger/overview

Set up a hotmail address, also free, list that info in your profile on the forum, and we can all chat.  You can set any hotmail address  in your contacts and it will show whether they are online when you connect.  Get a headset with a mic or just speakers and a microphone, and we can actually talk.  Gera had a conference yak session with me and another fellow modeler in Italy.  I could talk with Italy as if we were on the phone, but Gera had a delay because of his slower internet connection.  Marcello in Italy said it was because of them Panamanian rats chewing on the wires.

Ken Pugh