• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Just a glance 5 Nov 2013

Started by lastvautour, November 05, 2013, 08:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Other photos are encouraged.

Lou

Balsabasher

Great picture Lou,what are the cut outs on the right ? are you making rocking horses for christmas ? a terrific workshop.
Barry.

lastvautour

Those are my Christmas Reindeer. After all I have a few minutes to myself so I made those. The misses painted them.

Lou

Balsabasher

My busy workshop as at today with the camera swinging around each area of the 12x8 shed,my swivel chair can reach each working area easily.
Barry.

lastvautour

I like a busy scene. Can't seem to get anything done on a clean bench.

Ok, where everybody else bench.

Lou

Balsabasher

I agree Lou,clean them up and you cannot find anything.

Yes take your bench pictures exactly as they are no tidying up !

Barry.

cliff strachan

Just for the fun of it, but then again perhaps it may encourage others, I'm going to show you guys my so-called "workshop" as soon as possible. I come from the era that you walked a couple of blocks in the snow to purchase a dime model where the "fuselage" consisted of a block of hard wood, the wings were of cardboard and if you should be so silly as to actually want a different scale one would resort to a "pantograph" made by yourself from directions out of an issue of "Mechanics Illustrated." Of course one would be expected to "just carve the model" and as  long as you had "the face" of the aircraft it was successful. There must be some of those guys still around! At least by the numbers of "lookers on" there must be.

Cliff.

Balsabasher

Cliff you paint a lovely picture of times past,I remember my father telling me about boys comic that came out in the 1930's one week you got the fuselage,the next week the wings in panels,then the wheel in another,the final crunch came at the final week when everyone was expecting a fancy nose block,not so you had to go out and buy one of those round boxed pepperpots with a metal cowl like bottom and shaker holes in it that served as the nose for your cherished model,the model actually flew using rubber bands joined together and lubricated with soap and castor oil,parts in comics were common back then,it was only the rich kids that could afford A-Frame pushers purchased from Gamages,so noting wrong with card wings and blocks of firewood its the fun that you get out of building something unique.
We could even do a cookup of a model built from the basis of say a wooden cotton reel holder ? as the cowling,or as you mention card for the wings and a block of wood to make the fuselage.
Barry.

cliff strachan

Barry, that remark was very interesting to us "oldies". Back over here in the early '40s the breakfast cereal - Kellogg's Corn Flakes I believe it was - used to have a cardboard punchout ship in every box together with very realistic lifeboats and the whole bit. I believe that I was the proud possessor of the Bremen and at least one other ship - an Empress Class which I believe was a CPR ship. Sort of wish I still had them.
Cliff.

Peter

Here is my little work space out in the garage. I need to get a heater its starting to get a bit chilly.

Peter

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Please find below my 2 cents to this thread:

It may not be as impressive as the others, but it is my personal square yard of "as-close-to-heaven-as-you-can-get".

It all started, when I quit smoking cigarettes in December last year.
After 2 months cold turkey, I tried smoking a pipe on a business trip to Slovakia.
Ever since then I have been smoking one pipe a day, but I don't smoke inside the house.
It rains frequently in my country, so on rainy days I flee to the shed to smoke my pipe.
Then it did not take long before I claimed my workspace.
And here we are, I spend at least one happy hour here every day (even on the dry days)  :)

Jorrit

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Quote from: cliff strachan on November 06, 2013, 05:27:21 PM
Just for the fun of it, but then again perhaps it may encourage others, I'm going to show you guys my so-called "workshop" as soon as possible. I come from the era that you walked a couple of blocks in the snow to purchase a dime model where the "fuselage" consisted of a block of hard wood, the wings were of cardboard and if you should be so silly as to actually want a different scale one would resort to a "pantograph" made by yourself from directions out of an issue of "Mechanics Illustrated." Of course one would be expected to "just carve the model" and as  long as you had "the face" of the aircraft it was successful. There must be some of those guys still around! At least by the numbers of "lookers on" there must be.

Cliff.

Cliff, I really enjoy to hear this kind of stories.
Please keep them coming...

Jorrit

Balsabasher

Gorrit I love your work space,in fact it reminds me of the one I used to have many years ago before my numerous sheds came on the scene,I would work from a similar set up in the corner of my room,any heavy sanding would need to be done outside but it worked and many different models were made from there,well done for quitting the smoking and if building models is helping you then thats a real bonus,and to Peter get a fan heater,they quickly warm up any area and take off the chill,to everyone one out there we love seeing your work areas they are all so different and portray your personality more than you can ever imagine,keep them coming.
Barry.

lastvautour

Small spaces, buzzing with activities is the heart of our hobby. Thank you all for sharing photos with the membership.

Lou

lastvautour

My reserve stock of basswood is going down. My biggest piece is approx 13" X 2" X 8" and cost a pretty penny over 20 years ago. The pine is mostly recycled from my house renovation project.

Lou