• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Royal Canadian Rocket Corp

Started by Peter, September 13, 2012, 08:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter

I was looking at some of the plastic egg plane models on the internet and thought it would make a possbly good airtoon solid. I went to the local craftstore and picked up some wooden turned eggs. I decided to with a retro rocket design inspired by the Rocket Ranger plan in the Gallery. The model parts are wooden egg, wooden plant pot, 1/8th wooden dowels and basswood fins.

Peter

I have spray painted it silver with a black cockpit. I plan on finishing it with red fins and RCAF rondels. I have an interesting idea for a display base as well.

Peter

buccfan

Looking good Peter, very Flash Gordon, I've got a few egg planes left to do myself.Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Awesome idea. Very nice rocket plane. When do we leave for a trip around the solar system? With no mention of ray guns and such, I assume this is a ship of exploration?

Lou

Peter

Thank you for your kind words gents. I thought about ray guns etc. but most of the period space ships I looked at didn't show any. I think it looks more sleek without the them any way. So exploration craft it is! They also have basswood dinner plates so I was thinking of making a a 1950s style flying saucer or a Nazi Hannebau. I will post a finished photo soon. Which for me good be 6 months ::)

Peter

cliff strachan

Flash Gordon, Buck Rodgers, Tom Mix - don't know how he got in there but it just came to me  being an old timer - you guys are sure doing a swell job.
Cliff.

Peter

Thanks Cliff, I grew watching reruns of the old Flash Gordon And Buck Rodgers serials on tv. They definately had an influence on me. Along with Canada's own 1960s cartoon Rocket Robin Hood! All there ships had around kind of egg shape to them.  I listen to old radio shows now when I'm doing my hobbies , most of which you can download for free.

Peter

Oceaneer99

Peter,

Lovely model!  I have a similar rocketship, also made from a craft store wooden egg, but sadly, it has languished at the primer stage for a few years!  You have given my new inspiration.

Garet

Peter

Thanks Garet! There are a lot of spaceships languishing away half finished, just ask NASA!! I'm hopefully going to have it finished next week. Work, kids and wife permitting....

Peter

Peter

Royal Canadian Rocket Corp is almost finished. Just needs a bit more touch up painting and RCAF rondels.

Peter

buccfan

That looks great Peter, I like the flames at the back end. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Great subject and fantastic job on the paint. What did you use for the exhaust plume? When can you come by and give me a ride?

Lou

Peter

Thanks Lou & Paul,

The exhaust plume is air hardening clay from the craft store. I'll take you for a ride once Canada is safe from the evil, dastardly villains from the planet Nosuchplace.

Peter

lastvautour

If you wait a few months they will all be frozen in their lairs.

Lou

Peter

I should of built skis on it ! (Slapping hand on forehead)

Peter