• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

2014 Year End Quicky Build

Started by lastvautour, December 03, 2014, 11:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

This post will be merged to the WWII ID Model builds on completion of the project. Here is my choice. The Defiant flew with RCAF 410 Squadron during WWII. The model will be built using recycled wood from my neighbours kitchen renovations.

Lou

I have selected two possible schemes, both 410 Sqn from Wings Palette at http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/570/101

Boomerang

I'll have a bash at a Skua. This may turn into a Roc.
I've managed to print a useable drawing to 1/72 .

Gordon

lastvautour

Drawings printed. Next to paste to cardboard for use as templates.

Lou

lastvautour

Bolton Paul Defiant templates cut, wood selected and major pieces outlined. Recycle wood appears to be ash.

Lou

Boomerang

Have managed to cut out 2 sets of wings , tailplane and one fuselage.
I'm doing the cowls from Balsa dowel which I will start on when i get back down home.

Gordon

lastvautour

Two Defiant parts are cut away from the board but only one fuselage has block form. The to do list just added two Victorian lamp posts from some old plywood. They on the other hand have been cut, sanded and have received their first coat of paint. Later this afternoon is a kitchen party I just have to attend, so no additional work on the models.

Lou

lastvautour

Between painting the two Victorian lamp posts and going out I managed to block cut the major parts.

Lou

lastvautour

Blocks are taking shape.

Lou

Boomerang

Skua up to primer stage. Roc not far behind. Turret and sliding panels being worked on.
Pictures to follow.
At this stage both will be silver. have to make some decals before I leave .

Gordon

Boomerang

It looks like a Skua.
  Have yet to cut back white primer coat. Propeller is  black plastic from an empty ice ceream container.
  blades heted ( safely) over a stove element and given a twist with pliers.
  Cowling block cleaned out with rotary tool . Smeared with a bit of wood glue ,allowed to set slightly and the scraped with a
  file to look like cylinders.
  Roc is progressing. Set of roundels produced.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Great looking model. I am a bit behind and will not be ready for the paint shop for a day or so.

Lou

lastvautour

Progress shot

Lou

cliff strachan

Gordon, a very nice model so far. I especially like the paint job you've done.
Cliff.

Boomerang

Thanks Cliff, At the moment its just white primer. Bit of a clean up and then comes the silver.

Lou, Looking good. I see you've got some stands ready.

Gordon

Oceaneer99

I like seeing the Defiant take shape.  Years ago, I spent a few weeks enlarging drawings by hand for the Defiant in order to design a balsa and tissue model.  I never built the model, but got to know the lines of the plane pretty well.

Garet