• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tool Handles

Started by Model Maker, December 09, 2019, 06:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Maker

Sometimes it's handy to add a handle to a fixture or tools such as files. There are numerous shapes used by manufacturers including the hexagonal handle.

I found this idea on making a hexagon handle a while ago will doing some browsing. Thought I'd post it with some photos in case others may have requirement for handles. It's a great way to utilize scraps.

The clamping fixture is simple to make. Two pieces of wood bevelled at 45 degrees. I've used 3/4" thick (19 mm) and glued them to a wooden base. A stop is added to one end. I then utilize a bench hook as the backstop for the assembled fixture. The fixture works with different sizes of wood. I've tailored handles starting with 1" (25 mm) square and 3/4" (19 mm) square sections depending on the intended use for the handle. The length is approximately 5" (12.5 cm).

Place the square section in the fixture and plane down the top point. Rotate 90 degrees and plane down the next point. Repeat until all 4 points have been flattened. Take another pass checking for symmetry or close to symmetry. Round off the back side for comfort and you have a handle. If required a ferrule can be added at the other end. I typically use copper plumbing couplings cut in half (makes two ferrules from one fitting). But other fittings or tubing can be utilized. Undercut the required length to the inside diameter of the fitting or tubing and epoxy it in place. If required coat the handle with your choice of finish.

lastvautour

Thank you for the post.

Louis

Oceaneer99

Thank you for the tutorial! I need to go look, I think I made hexagonal handles for some small chisels years ago, but your method is much more exacting. 

I sometimes make small handles from tree trimmings, with copper pipe ferrules. I have a piece of maple branch in my living room that I was intending to use for this application.

Garet