• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Volunteers needed

Started by R.F.Bennett, May 31, 2009, 04:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.F.Bennett

Volunteers needed:o  :P  :-[

As my health and obligations of career become more of a problem and Garet's family and job need more of his time, we have found ourselves stalled in the operations of the site. We need to ask for some help, that, in the past, we haven't asked for.

We have also reached a technology barrier when it comes to advancing the functionality of the site that neither of has can seem to overcome. This refers to the look and feel of the site as well as the Blog/Magazine format homepage we have been hoping to develop.
For this we need the help of someone with PHP editing knowledge or someone that has an idea of what it is and can find himself learning a bit about it.

For the Gallery we need help sorting files, restoring plans and editing things such as Copyright information and TAGS for the plans.

For the forum and the blog we need help taking completed builds and converting them into PDF format articles for download and blog posting. See "The Perch Build" http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=9.0 for an example.

For all of the site and for fund raising efforts and site promotion we need help with graphics. I have enjoyed making the simple graphics such as the black and red one at the top of the page and the background and buttons on the home page but my muse has left me and I no longer can sit for hours at a time at the puter working these things out. I have a full set of them but still need promotional banners and a mascot which I can clearly see but no longer draw.

Now to the most common cause for my inability to due these things. Just with the writing of this small entry I am completely exhausted. So please forgive me for pleading then running. I'll try an additional posting later. Please feel free to post any questions in THIS string.

RFB

"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

I am unable to help in that department. Outside of word processing and a little spread sheet, I am at alost in this computerized world.

Lou

R.F.Bennett

You do your share already Lou  :P
and if you don't add your Hudson to the Model of the year list I will!  :-*
"The Dude Abides"

R.F.Bennett

I would like to thank you all for your offers of help. I believe I can find a place for all, in fact I have. Let me say that there is no way I will see this site shut down, it is not in danger of that. But it could be so much more, for all of us and those to come. I will send you individual emails in the next few days with how I think you can help. Those of you with North American phone numbers can send them to me via email with a good time to call, Don't forget to tell me your time zone so I don't call in the middle of the night. When I have discussed more with each of you I will post where we stand.  ::)  :P

As for those of you thinking the job has been taken care of and there is no place for you. Please speak up
there is always something. Even if it's just thinking up new ideas or telling us what you would like to see built. Archiving plans and posts in case the site fails. Posting us with your favorite search engine or bookmark sites. Mentioning us in the forums you belong too that you think might find us of interest. FEEDBACK! good or bad will help us shape the site.

"The Dude Abides"

Oceaneer99

Many thanks to all who responded to our call for help.  In response to some questions I've gotten, yes, the site is in good shape and in no danger of going away!  In fact, I feel that it is more secure than ever.  We have a nice combination of "old salts" and new members, at all skill levels.  There is something for everyone to do, from non-computer tasks to computer-guru levels, and we are very open to suggestions about things you'd like to see on the site.

Ray and I had a long conversation last weekend and we decided it would be best if the two of us focus our efforts on a few main portions of the site, mostly involving the forum and gallery.  Ray tried out a few new things, such as a chat room, and Ray, my brother, and I all gave the blog software a try.  We haven't completely given up on all those new things, but we want to make sure that we don't neglect the really vibrant and important parts of the web site.

I still enjoy collecting plans and working on plans restorations, but you've probably noticed that I only get a chance to do them in spurts, and I'm usually outpaced by supply (that is a GOOD thing!).  With help from Kenny and others, we did get all of the WW II ID plans on the site, and even have PDF versions available if you think we should post those as well. These plans have brought in a lot of newcomers, including some who contacted me directly to ask questions about construction techniques and to get help with some of the larger drawings (English was not their first language, and they were reluctant to post in the forum despite my encouragement).

Ray has pioneered PDF "build reports", including his build of the submarine Perch and construction of a drawknife.  Several of you have posted wonderfully detailed reports of your construction that either the builder or a volunteer could turn into a single PDF document.

I've been kicking up some ideas and I'll post them when I work them out a bit. 

Once again, a big THANK YOU to each and every one of YOU for your CONTRIBUTIONS, SUPPORT, OFFERS OF ASSISTANCE, and CAMARADERIE. 

Garet

R.F.Bennett

"The Dude Abides"