Started by lastvautour, November 17, 2015, 02:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Roll out 1000 hrs 9 Jan 2016.

lastvautour

Now, the Banshee.

Lou

buccfan

Very nice indeed Lou, looks great with its ship mates. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

lastvautour

All drawings are glued to the blocks. I wanted the top of the fuselage to be flat without having to carve it out so I added a blcok for the canopy once the fuselage was sanded level.

Lou

lastvautour

The blocks are carved however the first vertical fin was discarded and made with the grain running for and aft which is not my normal approach.  I listed the thickness of each block as a starting point and sanding will take then down a bit later.

Lou

lastvautour

The horizontal stab is one piece and needs a lot of tender love and care to get it to look decent. It is a step by step procedure using an Exacto knife. Careful sanding is used to get the airfoil shape.

Lou

lastvautour

The fuselage is shaped using the drawing as a pattern. The drawing is not glued as laying down on the curved surface distorts the shape. Sight down from the top and mark the areas for removal. Once shaped, mark off the canopy shape and cut vertically for the canopy to emerge. I screwed mine up and will be making a separate canopy later. The forward fuselage is shaped using 250 grit sandpaper.

Lou

lastvautour

The main fuselage top is sanded to shape and the wings are cut out using the frontal view. The contour of the airfoil is not started as of yet.
The lines on the top of the wing are to help me in shaping the airfoil.
Lou

PS note my new canopy.

lastvautour

The wing wing was roughly shaped and new drawings glued on. The trailing edge is still 1 mm thick. The fuselage is notched to accept the wing. After some test fitting and removing a bit here and there I notched the top of the wing and removed more materiel from the fuselage so the wing is just slightly higher than the bottom of the fuselage. I will add a plug to make the lower fuselage fit to the wings.

NOW that was the easy part. Next the engine recess and bulges.

Lou

Boomerang

Looking great so far Lou.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

lastvautour

Taking a side trip away from the engines is notching the rear fuselage for the tail feathers. The vertical fin is glued on but the entire assembly will wait till later.

Lou

lastvautour

Cutting the wing for the engines is tedious. I had to glue the tip of the trailing edge and then glue print paper on top to avoid further breakage during sanding/filing. The opening was done using a small file. The nacelle humps are a half dowel sanded to a beveled front end. This is a trial and error until you get the desired effect. The wing thickness was reduced starting at the mid point towards the the trailing edge. I am not pleased with the tail pipe and will try a bigger dowel for the other wing. I will then pick which ever looks better.

Lou

Biggles

Wow! you truly are a master modeller.
not meaning to pinch your post put here is the smallest model I have done.
Biggles
John 15:13