• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Solid Model Memories 20th Anniversary Cook-up

Started by lastvautour, April 29, 2021, 01:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I have taken the liberty of repeating Ray's word on creating SMM.

I have always wanted to document the accidental situation that brought SMM about. But it really doesn't matter. Truly, I didn't set out to make such a fuss, I just wanted to build a model ship or two. Then all the help came rushing in, the plans were arriving in dozens of pieces in manila envelopes. It was overwhelming, until I asked for help to put it all together. What matters is all of you. So many names, so many letters of thanks, so many Solid Model Memories. New and old memories, weaving their way subtly throughout our lives. Distracting us from the real world, as well as taking us to far away places and times. I tell people in my life of all the friends that I have all around the world. Though I've only met one of you. I have always wished I could win the lottery and afford to visit everyone. To sit in your shop and chat over coffee or tea, to smell the wood and the paint. To hear your voices, my friends, It was all of YOU who built this Solid Model Memories, I had the privilege to watch, and that means ever so much to me. Thank you, my friends, thank you...
Let the chips fly, Gentlemen

In celebrating Solid Model Memories 20th anniversary, a cook up/group build is announced. Subject is "Between the Wars" and will comprise of aircraft/ships/vehicles.
Rules are as follows:
cook up never close,
must be made of wood,
must be a solid,
can be any scale,
first flight/launch/roll out cannot be earlier than 1 January 1919 and no later than 1 January 1939.
Modify message

lastvautour

I invite everyone to join in this group build. I have selected the Douglas DC-2 with drawings from "The Blueprint" site. I am considering TWA markings.

Lou

gera

Hi There Old Man:

With so many things to do at my 77 I have had no time for my beloved solid wood hobby. Saw the tournament and decided to give it a go after so many years. I really forgot when I stopped building!. I'll check my plans and come out soon with a pick.
Thank you for your wonderful work keeping SMM going so well...See you later

Gera
Gera

lastvautour

I am really happy to see you are well. Welcome back Gera.

Lou

Boomerang

Welcome back Gera.

For my pick I will attempt a BAT FK26 in 1/48th.

I've had the plans for years.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Wood has been selected and templates cut. Construction will be clear pine.

Lou

lastvautour

lastvautour

Decided to follow Dave's lead and will be carving the main wing filets rather than using putty. The DC-2 is #2 on my priority list.

Lou

lastvautour

Wings and engine nacelles contours are roughed in and major components notched to receive their counterpart.
Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

Seems to be working out. It will greatly reduce the amount of putty needed. If the putty use is very low, I may add decals but use clear varnish instead of paint. Time will tell.

Lou

gera

Hi Guys:

After some time of a "Closed Hangar" I decided to open up the doors and let some fresh air in.
What better than this 2oth Birday Cook up!..so here is my entry.. maybe more later:

Savoia Marchetti 62..Savoia-Marchetti SM.62 was an Italian single-engine maritime patrol flying boat produced from 1926. It served with the Regia Aeronautica and with a number of foreign users, and was licence-produced in Spain and the Soviet Union. Some of the Spanish aircraft were still in service during the Spanish Civil War..I forgot how to add a pic here so I'll see if I can get one in later....

Regards
Gera
Gera

lastvautour

Good to here from you. You can send your photos to my email and I will post them for you.

Lou

Boomerang

gera

Here are some photos of the tiny 1/100 approx, Savoia Marchetti -62..... ;)

http://windbornesim.jigsy.com/#builder
Gera