• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

World War One Armistice 100th Anniversary - Cook Up

Started by lastvautour, December 05, 2017, 12:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. The pictures I have are for the 1920 refit that changed a lot from the version I am building.

Lou

lastvautour

A sole month to go before the 100th anniversary of the armistice.  My HMS Aurora is slowly coming together with some progress on the forward deck and main bridge. I will attempt to finish before the end of the month. I am volunteering to sell poppies for our local Royal Canadian Legion Branch on the 27th of Oct and 4th of Nov. Last year I made some poster boards showing our Canada's Armed Forces with pcitures and text. This year I will display my Nieuport 11, Mark V tank and hopefully HMS Aurora. My personal project was to search the  National Archives of Canada to see if I could collect all the names of the local area men who served. I collected 165 names and made a booklet dedicated to my Grand father who was a soldier in WWI. All names will be displayed for all to see as well as 11 of our long gone heros who did not return to their families.

Lou

Flying T

got a lot further, went to the sumter vfw museum,and the family of lt Ervin shaw gave the museum a lot of info about shaw,since he lived in sumter,have to go back,here is a new pic
FLYING T (AKA. LARRY)

lastvautour

Coming along nicely. What paint are you using?

Lou

lastvautour

A sneak peek of HMS Aurora. All that remains is railings and rigging. The mast and yardarms belong to an earlier time but HMS Aurora appears to be able to use canvas to move if needed.

Lou

Boomerang

Aurora looks great Lou!

Well done on the booklet.

I work as a volunteer in the family research centre of the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.
Members of the public come in when visiting the AWM and I just guide them through how to chase up records.

It is rewarding to see the number of people that are looking up there relatives even some as far back as the Boer War.

Lest We Forget.

Gordon

Boomerang

Boomerang

Where the Macchi is at.

Only one piece of Blue tac in use. Holding the tail on.

Have bitten the bullet and stuck the up wing on. Used the Mark one eyeball and a firm grip plus had various strut attachment points already marked.

Turned out relatively square.

Had to trim the outer ( Brass) struts to size . Will have to remake the the right angle ones. Just mm too short.

Some turn buckles attached.

Gordon

Model Maker

Gordon;

Great job on the model. The wing ribs look outstanding!! I'm always impressed by wing ribs. They bring the model to life.

-ken

lastvautour

Awesome model Gordon.

Lou

Armistice research found Russians, Dutch, French(France), American and men from several other countries that came to Canada to enlist. The greatest numbers came from England.

lastvautour

My Armistice model project is complete as of 19 Oct 2018. It was well worth the efforts as I enjoyed myself tremendously building and seeing other people's wonderful contributions to the entire Armistice Group Build.

1/350 scale HMS Aurora was launched earlier today. The intent was to make a Canadian ship. I found out 3/4 through the project that the Royal Canadian Navy only took her on strength in 1920. As the Royal Navy's Her Majesty Ship Aurora may have had Canadian sailors as part of her wartime commitments. It was a challenge as few decent photos survived and available drawings are misleading.

Lou

lastvautour

I will proudly display my 1/350 scale HMS Aurora, 1/32 Nieuport 11 and Mark V tank while supporting the Royal Canadian Legion poppy fund raisers.

Lou

Boomerang

Well done Lou!

There is a model exhibition on the weekend of Armistice Day. I'll put my Fokker, DFW , Whippet and Macchi in.

Gordon

buccfan

Great work on the Aurora Lou, looks good with the others. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Thank you Paul and Gordon. Time just flew this year.

Lou