• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Strombecker North American F-86 Sabrejet.

Started by Joe, October 14, 2009, 05:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Hi, again,

As you can decipher by now, I am strongly addicted to restoring Strombecker models from the 40's and 50's, an era when I built them as a lad.  A few days ago a built F-86 arrive by post and since today was not a good day for painting my other Strombecker projects, I began work on it.  I built very few model jets as a boy since I much preferred warbirds from WWII.  However, the Sabrejet, with its classic sweptback wings, was an exception to that rule.  In addition to the Strombecker version, I also built a larger scale model balsa version back when.  It is very likely that the Strombecker F-86 model cost between 50 and 75 cents back then, well within my monthly "budget".

I have enjoyed looking at all the posts on this site that show work in progress and I will try to do more of that myself.  However, a sawdust-filled shop is not a good place for a camera and the extra effort brings out the sloth in me.  Nonetheless, I will attempt to be a better citizen.

Attached are photos of the F-86 as I received it.  It certainly appears to be the work of a lad of the 50's and I can only hope that it stood proud on his bedroom dresser for many years--in spite of its obvious flaws.  The remaining photos show my efforts to create a horizontal stabilizer to replace the missing piece, as well as the model in its current state following the rough sanding.  The cockpit was not in too bad shape and I am going to see if I can restore it with some polishing compound.  If not, I will paint it sky blue as seems to be my wont now.  

Speaking of painting, I am pondering whether to use my airbrush or to relive my youth once more and use brushes and enamel.  At present I am leaning toward the latter.

lastvautour

Joe

Hi, All,

I finished the F-86 and, as usual, had difficulties with the decals.  After several attempts at making copies, I finally came up with some reasonably satisfactory renditions.  In order to get the color saturation and clean lines I wanted, I had to do some post-copying work with colored pens and then respray the decals. This worked fairly well, but was a real pain. 

A second issue that plagued me in building this model was the aluminum paint.  I have used this Tamiya acrylic previously with no problems, but this time around, it just would not flow out well. Beyond that a bit of orange peel showed up here and there.  Sanding and sanding and repainting mostly cured that. Very puzzling.....

In the event, I think it is finished.  Photos attached of the primer stage, first aluminum paint coat,  and of the finished model.

Joe

lastvautour

Joe, I somehow missed the completion of your F-86. You did the model justice. I am attempting to do the same with a Sabre given to me by Ray.

Lou