• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Roland D-II

Started by Jim, August 15, 2022, 09:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

Another submission for the WW1 stable: a Roland D-II in standard German "green and mauve" plumage. About 1/60 scale. LFG Roland had a catastrophic factory fire shortly after production began in late 1916, and until the company could re-tool in new quarters, many D-IIs were built by Pfalz as a subcontractor, which led to some minor production variations in the breed, notably the characteristic "fat" iron crosses on the tail and fuselage. This model displays those.
Standard basswood construction, with laminated walnut/basswood Axial-style prop, O-ring tires, fishing line and banjo string rigging, pilot carved from hardwood dowel, and computer-printed decals. Hope you enjoy.
And so it goes...

Boomerang

Well Done Jim!

A fantastic looking model.

Cheers

Gordon

Jim

And so it goes...

Gearup

A unique looking aircraft. Very colourful and complicated paint scheme ! The pilot has a good character and he seems to be trying to peer around the engine. I think I would have a word with the designer about the forward visibility for a fighter ;).

Great job
Fraser

Jim

Thank you, Fraser. The "peer around" look by the pilot is just what I was trying for. Characteristic with the type. So many of those Great War kites had design flaws and quirks the pilots and observers had to contend with. It's one of the things that make them so fascinating for me, and why I love building them.
And so it goes...

lastvautour

Excellent modelling skills Jim. It is educational to see your models and hear the background information.

Lou

Jim

You're very kind, Lou.
And so it goes...