• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Why I loveSolid Model's so much.

Started by Balsabasher, July 28, 2009, 10:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Having built just about every type of airplane you can think of such as Control line scale to make me dizzy....,Free flight to make me run after them...,Seaplanes that fly off water and make me get my feet wet recovering them...,Hovercrafts that hovered sometimes...,Jetex models that fizzed..,Rubber models that flitted delightfully...,Extra large models that my son at least could sit in and operate the controls...,Big Radio controlled monsters including an elevon foot span Avro Lancaster...,Helicopter's that were tricky to handle...,Gliders that were heaved off a slope to fly gracefully over valleys....,Big kites that pulled you along and reminded me of Samual Cody...Diesel engines...Glo Plug engines that made my skin poorly...Petrol engined strimmer motors that were converted to drive big propellers...,Hot air balloons that carried flames aloft to keep them airborne...,yes and even built and flown full sized aeroplanes as well....well after that little lot my firm favourites and passion is for humble solid models ! and why is that ? well my circumstances today mean that wandering off flying is not an option for me,my precious workshop in the countryside a few miles from home is my personal idea of heaven,there I can cut,carve,sand,paint and breathe in balsa dust all day long with friendly passers by now used to seeing me holding tiny models in my hands carving away merrily,solids to me are works of art,striving to get that tricky shape in a block of friendly natural wood,the sheer joy of seeing the model take shape,the sensual smoothness of finely sanded wood,tackling the grain to get a good finish,making tiny parts from scrap wire,card and nails filed in a vice,not that a bit of grain bothers me even in the searching digital pictures we display here,what is a bit of grain between friends ?! that is what solids are all about,made to the best of our personal ability every one of us keeping solid model building well and truly alive,place your solids on display at any plastic model show and see the reactions of modern model builders,what kit is that ? I have never seen that kit before ? what a great paint job,questions and more questions and you know why ? because our models are unique,even as we have proved in a cookup every Hellcat looks different in some individual and special way,that model carries our trademark just like any artist paints in his or her style we carve and finish in individual ways as well.
Solid modelling is not for everyone,many do not like all of the dust and chibblings,many would just need a simple bit of guidance if they so desired to join us and build simple solids,but you need that desire to do so and not mind that dust that flies everywhere covering your busy workbench,all part and parcel of the fun we have and we are used to it.
So for me at least my true vocation is solids,I will simply never run short of subjects and have just finished my first spaceship even ! yes Richard Bransons 'Spaceship 1' the plans of which are in our plans section,the challenges to build something difficult,the sense of creation derived,I firmly believe that many more are joining our ranks especially those who love carving things in wood or just fed up of modern convenience items,or those like me who have matured and settled down into our first love that we struggled but persevered with a long while ago,long may our hobby continue to give so much pleasure to us,long may we gather together worlwide those builders hidden away in sheds,outhouses or plush well equipped workshops,solids reign supreme,bravo to our wonderful and creative hobby,it is a sheer joy to study the pictures in our gallery of so many different subjects,just keep on carving and sanding everyone.
Balsabasher aka Barry.

lastvautour

Your are talking to the converted. It was first love, and will continue to be until I can no longer hold a blade.

Lou

Balsabasher

Same here as long as my carnel tunnel syndrome fingers hold,and as long as I can use hands,eyes and brain co-ordination then the models will continue to be produced,I just had to express my joy at what we do best dear last Vatour.

cliff strachan

Barry, Solid Scale Modeling described in such profound and pertinent terms by one such as yourself who has built every type of model conceivable including those real aircraft that you have flown yourself, legitimizes the hobby to the degree that one is left wondering how any potential member to the Group could possibly refrain from not immediately joining Solid Model Memories.

Thank you for the insight.

Cliff.

R.F.Bennett

I think we would all like to spend an afternoon with you in your shop Barry.  :P
"The Dude Abides"

Balsabasher

Quote from: R.F.Bennett on July 29, 2009, 06:51:31 PM
I think we would all like to spend an afternoon with you in your shop Barry.  :P

There is always room for any solid modeller,I would soon get you whittling a few parts ! you have a good day there RF.

Balsabasher

Quote from: cliff strachan on July 29, 2009, 06:12:09 PM
Barry, Solid Scale Modeling described in such profound and pertinent terms by one such as yourself who has built every type of model conceivable including those real aircraft that you have flown yourself, legitimizes the hobby to the degree that one is left wondering how any potential member to the Group could possibly refrain from not immediately joining Solid Model Memories.

Thank you for the insight.

Cliff.

Yes it certainly is a good plug for our hobby,I think that sometimes we go back to our grass roots,it is pure nostalgia,Solid Model Memories is a great name.
Barry.

dave_t

Barry,
      Enjoyed that. You didn't mention plastic models at all.

Balsabasher

Well spotted Dave ! yes you can add quite a few of those,and Vac-forms,and Resin kits as well,fancy me missing the obvious.
Balsabasher.