• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Projects

Started by Balsabasher, July 19, 2009, 04:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliff strachan

Thanks again Barry. This is a load of information that not only myself but I believe many of our other members will benefit from also. It was mainly to build just one model with a really good finish or at least not have the grain showing as I did about sixty years ago that provided the initial goal of getting back into solids.

Cliff.

Balsabasher

Go for it Chris,build a super solid that has a blemish free surface,my thoughts on this is that every time I place a solid on display people constantly say 'Which kit is that ?' then I point out that it was a scratchbuild solid model they look at me in awe disbelieving ? then I show them a bit of grain to prove my model is not a commercial offering !
Here is a hot tip for your super solid,if you want a mirror like finish that defies explanation then use the following system,first of all do the sanding sealer stage,then pop along to your friendly auto shop and purchase a tin of 'Knifeing putty' this comes in shallow tins and is made up of thickened paint that is then refined,with an artists pallette knife cover all over the model with a thin layer,do this task in stages,ie top surfaces first,fuselage,the finally undersides,then lay cling film ( food wrap ) all over the surface and pull it around the edges smoothing it down,allow this to cure for at least a week,remove the cling film and you will have a surface like glass which has self levelled over the grain,the process is slow and it will take a long time to do but if it is finish you are after then this is the way to go,you can even use PVA adhesive for the putty and then the cling film process,you can see the PVA gradually curing underneath the film and then you know it is tim to remove it,the advantage of the PVA is that it can be thinned with water.
Balsabasher.

lastvautour

Barry, are all these models being posted build this year. I need to know for posting to Model of the Year.

Lou

Balsabasher

Quote from: lastvautour on August 06, 2009, 06:16:22 PM
Barry, are all these models being posted build this year. I need to know for posting to Model of the Year.

Lou

Yes they are Lou,I have been updating after a spell when I could not access the site,any older models will appear in due course after the present input but I will mark them as such.
Balsabasher.

lastvautour

Thanks Barry. Have a good one.

Lou