• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Sopwith Tabloid

Started by Jim, December 05, 2022, 07:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

Sopwith Tabloid No. 168 as flown by Flight Lt. R.L.G. Marix, Royal Naval Air Service, on the night of Oct. 8, 1914, when he became the first pilot in history to destroy a Zeppelin airship. With the invading German army closing in on Antwerp, Belgium, Marix took off with a second Tabloid piloted by Squadron Comdr. Spenser Grey for the airship bases at Cologne and Dusseldorf. Finding the Cologne target socked in by clouds, Grey dropped his two 20-lb. Hales bombs on the local railway station and returned. Marix had better luck at Dusseldorf. Diving through heavy ground fire, his bombs destroyed the brand-new Zeppelin LZ-25 in a spectacular fireball. He then nursed his damaged Tabloid to within 20 miles of Antwerp, where he force-landed. The resourceful Marix made his way back to Antwerp by bicycle and train, arriving one step ahead of the advancing Germans, and joined Grey in time for the evacuation. Both pilots were awarded the Distinguished Service Order...Approx 1/60 scale.
And so it goes...

lastvautour

Jim, that is a fantastic biplane model. Every time you post I learn something new. I had never heard of a Tabloid. Thank you for rounding off my education on WWI aircraft.

Lou

Jim

Ah, Lou, 'it's the darlin' man you are...!
And so it goes...

Boomerang

Another stunning model Jim. Well Done !

I like the way you attach the history of the the particular model complete.

There are a  few interesting early Sopwith aircraft.

Cheers

Gordon

Gearup

That is a nicely done model with interesting details such as the control cables for the rudder and elevators. I had also not known of a Tabloid and its place in history. Thanks!
Fraser

Jim

Thank you kindly, gents.
The Tabloid was a pre-war racing design, of which fewer than 50 were built, I believe. But it also served as the design basis for the improved Sopwith Schneider racing seaplane and, ultimately the successful Sopwith Baby seaplane, of which 286 were built for the RNAS/RFC during 1916-18.
One thing leads to another, as they say...😊
And so it goes...