• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Grumman Bearcat

Started by lastvautour, August 11, 2017, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

As written by Harvey aka FlyingS

Starting my next model, a F8F Grumman Bearcat. This was my Dad's favorite aircraft during his 22 year carrier in the Navy. I have printed the patterns and will start making templates to rough out the blocks. Using Bass wood and will be my first fully painted aircraft. It will have a 10" wing span.

lastvautour

As written by Harvey aka FlyingS

This is my first attempt at doing the wings in one piece. This model I'm going to paint in Navy blue and tryout the printable decal paper. Any suggestions on that is appreciated.

lastvautour

Looks good to me. Check out the group build board. Some have directions on carving one piece wings with the dihedral built in.

Lou

Model Maker

You can take a look at the Halifax listed on my Building Board. The wing also has a dihedral construction. When cutting out the wing, I used the bandsaw to rough cut the dihedral in the wing. Then used a block plane, sharp chisel and files to shape the various aspects of the wing profile. But based upon this plane and the scale I believe the wing span of the model is approximately 7.5" / 19 cm. For this size of wingspan, I'd opt for the sharp chisel and file.

I find a higher than normal  back stop on a bench hook is a great aid in chiselling the wing profile as I tend to chisel across the wood grain (ie across the wing) to remove the material rather than along the wood grain (ie along the wing axis) of the wing when shaping the various sections of the wing.

-ken

FlyingS

Have the rear stabilizer (at least that what it is on a helicopter  :) fitted to the fuselage. Need to trim the wing down on the band saw. I saved the one profile scrap to act as a cradle for sawing. I may have over done it on square section to match up with the notch in the fuselage, but I'm still figuring the thing out.

lastvautour

It takes time. My first effort back around 1954 did not look like any airplane flying at the time, but my imagination made up for it. Just remember Harvey, the only person you need to satisfy is yourself. You seem to be doing that so far.

Lou

PS Send me those photos and I will place them in this post.

FlyingS

Thanks for the advise! I messed up on my measurements for the wing construction. (which bugs me since that is sort of what I did for a living) the good news is it is savable. I like you method of small notch to mach the piece tying the two wings to one piece. I learn something new every time I login!

lastvautour

I have forgotten the measure twice cut once many a time.

Lou

lastvautour

Harvey, please send me the drawings you are using or the link if you found them on line.

Lou

FlyingS

Work for today. As it turns out due to my miscalculation I will be putting an insert in the bottom under the wing.

lastvautour

It is easier to get the wing even on both sides. I will be staring a Bearcat after my Spitfires and Mustangs are done.

Lou

lastvautour

Harvey, s your engine nacelle turned on a lathe? I just noticed it is a separate part.

Lou

FlyingS

I didn't use a lathe (had one sold it) I sliced a square piece the right thickness, I laid out the diameter of the cowl and used a spade drill to drill out the center. On my band saw with a fine blade I cut out the diameter (over sized) I sanded to the line by eye with a little extra. Then I glued it to the fuselage and started shaping it to the profile.

lastvautour

Shaping up nicely. Will you being using a hand made engine? I will be doing twp Jacobs L6 radials in the next few months.

Lou

P.S. Nice clamps.

FlyingS

Thanks! Thats the plan. I've never done propeller blades so that will be interesting. The shaping is taking some time but the front portion of the engine cowl is round and it will set the scale for the rest of the airframe.

Every model is a lesson for me. After trying a couple different methods, for me, I like scaling the prints and making all my templates off the prints using a home made light box. I find I need to go back and make small templates for different details of the plane which if find helpful. No right way, just more than one way to skin a cat.haha