• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Ball Bartoe JW-1 Jetwing

Started by Balsabasher, December 18, 2013, 12:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

The model got crushed and was badly damaged so salvaged the tail and built new assemblies,the completed result is shown.
The wing augmentors are made from 1/64th ply which had to be added after the wings were painted.

As there was no plan I sketched it up from photographs using the tyre size as a starting datum.

The Ball-Bartoe JW-1 Jetwing was a US research aircraft flown in the 1970s to investigate blown wing technology. It was a small, mid-wing design powered by a turbofan and fitted with tailwheel undercarriage. The upper surface of the swept wings incorporated a slot along around 70% of their span, through which air from the engine's fan stage could be discharged. Mounted above this slot was a small secondary airfoil called an "augmentor", intended to direct the airflow over the wing. With this arrangement, it was found that the aircraft remained controllable at airspeeds as low as 40 mph (64 km/h).
Following the test program, the aircraft was donated to the University of Tennessee Space Institute in Tullahoma. In 2007, the Jetwing was donated by UTSI to the Wings Over the Rockies Air and Space Museum in Denver, Colorado.

Barry.

rbeach84

Nice job with the Jetwing, Barry!

Any way you can share your drawings?  I, like you, have only ever found pictures in an old Air International of the Jetwing...
Regards, Robert

Balsabasher

Robert I will have to search them out,when I do then you are more than welcome to share them,they may even be deposited within our current files but unfortunately I cannot locate the index these days,glad you liked the unusual subject matter.
Barry.

rbeach84

Thanks, Barry!  Guess I was behind the times a bit as there is now a fair amount of pix on the web for the Jetwing (now at the Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum).  One excellent gallery is found at the SVSM.ORG (and IPMS/USA chapter) website.

Good luck on locating the old files!

Regards, Robert