• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Introduction / New Member

Started by SpaceMouse, January 30, 2018, 12:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceMouse

Hey all,

I just joined today, looking for a bunch of information re: building solid balsa aircraft.  I recently bought a box full of plastic model kits for a buck each; imagine my surprise and delight to find a WWII vintage Consolidated Super Miniatures P-47 kit among them.  As far as I can tell, the kit is missing the rubber tires/wheels and the piano wire for the landing gear.  So since it isn't complete, I've decided to build it.  Oh, and I intend to frame the lovely instruction sheet (complete with "Buy War Bonds" logo) once I'm done.

I built balsa-and-tissue flying models back in the '60s and '70s.  Looks like hobby shops have become rather scarce since then.  So my first questions have to do with building supplies.  Is anyone still selling sanding sealer and butyrate dope, or is such stuff essentially illegal due to VOC and childhood safety laws? 

I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as this project (slowly) proceeds. 

Thanks in advance!
Sniffing dope since 1968

lastvautour

Welcome Spacemouse. A few of my models are solid balsa. I prefer harder wood but when the spirit moves me, balsa works fine. It take a bit more time in sealing and painting, but in the hands of some of our members magnificent creations are built.

Lou

lastvautour

Spacemouse, I have opened a topic for posting your model photos and comments and added you to our novice tracker.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=1545.msg17215#msg17215

Lou

Flying T

hi spacemouse, explore this site. a lot of info here.a buck a piece! ask Lou about posting that kit here.like to see it
FLYING T (AKA. LARRY)

SpaceMouse

Yeah, I intend to document the whole thing in the Build Tracker that Lou so nicely provided.  Since goofing off in the garage is pretty far down on the Honey-Do list, it may take some time.  But posting some initial photos will be the first thing I do.

Cheers!
Sniffing dope since 1968

Marsh

Hi, I make my own sanding sealer, dope and talc.
Marsh.

Flying T

Hi, what pastic kits did u get,u can use the plans for a lot of detail,i make pdf files and then scale percent the size I want for a project,i use buttons for wheels,thin cardboard from cerial boxes are a must and u are recycleing!use acrylic paints a lot,and of course make wood putty with balsa sawdust and white glue,make my own repeat parts with a scilicon mould and fiberglass resin.
what plane kits were u deprived of as a kid? or want to remake? good way to start a list. u can use any plan from stick and tissue to 3 view, sky is the limit figured out, Lockheed s3b Viking,F18,junkers ju52,ford trimotor,went to dollar tree,dollar gen stores,no hobby shop for 50 miles,use internet a lot,bought Cleveland model co  Bristol f2b plan for wwl  cookoff here to get the right details/newish member but lots of model building in past/lets see what u are doing.be posting mine in a couple days.
FLYING T (AKA. LARRY)